Yahoo - The Front Page of the Internet

•  
  • 368
  • 10
  • 5
I was assigned to another department in my company four months ago. The location is an hour’s drive away from the city center, and every day I take a shuttle bus to and from work. For many reasons, I’m way busier than I was in my last position, so I don’t have as much time to study English as I used to, but I try to read English during my bus rides.

Reddit has always been one of my favorite American websites and I usually checked it on the bus. I loved to use this front page of the Internet to see what was happening outside (and even inside!) China. Reddit users’ comments usually made me laugh. I don’t use it anymore, because it was blocked three months ago. Although I have a valid VPN, it’s still troublesome to circumvent the GFW. Websites also stream slowly, which is not very good for loading pictures or watching videos

Then I found a good substitute – Yahoo. Though its US heyday was long ago, there are still many users and it’s still a good news source. Unlike famous news sites such as The New York Times and Washington Post, its news comes from many different outlets, including even tabloids. And, its language isn’t pretentious at all! I really enjoy reading it because I can read fast (like a native). Thanks to Yahoo, I basically can keep track of what’s happening in the US. America is a really interesting country. A Trump cult follower mailed bombs to Hillary and Obama. Near the southern border, there was a caravan of refugees trudging along, saying that they knew Trump wouldn't welcome them but that life was impossible back home. A boy helped a girl by giving her a jumper to cover the period stains on her pants.

I still miss Reddit, from which that boy-helping-girl story went viral, but for now, Yahoo can serve as the front page of the Internet for me.

[Edited]