Ode To Joy - Life in Shanghai

•  
  • 1112
  • 11
  • 4
The “Ode to Joy” I am referring to here isn’t the piece of music composed by Beethoven. It‘s the title of a TV series in China, which is very popular right now. The series is about the lives of five girls who live in Shanghai. The neighborhood they live in is called “Ode to Joy.”

I normally don’t watch TV series because I think they're a waste of time. But when all the people around me are talking about this series nonstop, I have to know what it's about, otherwise I won't be able to get a word in. In order to save time, I started by first watching the first few episodes, then reading about the plot online and then finally watching the newest episodes to finish off the series. :)

Living in Shanghai is very expensive. It is nearly impossible for young people to buy an apartment unless their parents are rich. So, five girls who come from different family backgrounds make the show both complex and interesting. Rich people in China are super rich, so it's no surprise that they afford real estate in NYC, Sydney, or London. For example, it has been reported recently that a young Chinese college student spend 31 M Canadian dollars to buy a luxury house in Vancouver.

I’ve been to Shanghai several times, and I don’t like the city. People have to work extremely hard to make enough money to afford an apartment, without which they are otherwise not able to obtain what's called a "hukou", which in turn means they're not "really" Shanghainese in the eyes of the law. Because of this, there're some social services and rights that they're not entitled to. Thus, the folks in Shanghai are making the tradeoff of exchanging incredibly hard work during a major part of their youth for a ticket to some uncertain, future lottery.

《欢乐颂》

我这里说的《欢乐颂》,不是贝多芬的名曲,而是一部最近在中国很火的电视剧。这部电视剧讲的是5个生活在上海的女孩的故事。她们住的小区叫做“欢乐颂”。

我一般不看电视,觉得浪费时间。但周围所有人都在讨论这个电视剧,我也要知道它讲的是啥,不然插不上话呀。为了节省时间,我只看了前面几集,然后就在网上搜下故事情节,然后再去看最后一集,大功告成!

在上海,生活成本很昂贵。如果家庭条件不富裕,年轻人买房靠自己几乎不可能。剧中五位女生家庭背景不同,所以剧情复杂有趣。中国有钱人真是超级有钱,所以在纽约,悉尼,伦敦买房产不是什么新鲜事。前不久报道说,一个中国大学生在温哥华买了一套3,110万加元的豪华别墅。

我去过上海几次,也不喜欢这个城市。人们拼命努力,只为买上海一套公寓。如果没买房,就没有户口,不能享有很多权利。现在房产和权利都绑定在一起了,所以上海人努力工作,用他们的青春去买一张通往明日成功的彩票。