Starbucks' Success in China

•  
  • 1336
  • 10
  • 4
I don’t know when Starbucks started to successfully spread into a lot of cities in China, though when Starbucks entered China in 1999, many were skeptical that Starbucks had a chance. They can be seen not only in metropolises like Beijing and Shanghai, but in many smaller cities. They also managed to run their branches in different regions in those cities -- be it in big shopping malls, colleges or even historical places; for example, there is a Starbucks coffee shop in the Forbidden City; also, a chain shop operates in an ancient alleyway in the city where I live. They have always tried to maintain the vintage shop designs similar to their surroundings, in order to avoid the controversy about whether they have spoiled the local cultural landscapes.

In fact, Chinese don’t fancy coffee drinks as much as tea. I even saw lots of people, especially the middle-aged or older, go to a Starbucks shop and ask for a cup of tea. To be frank, the tea drinks in Starbucks don’t taste wonderful, because they are brewed by teabags. Starbucks always claims it is devoted to fostering the coffee culture in China; I do see there are some paintings and graffiti on the wall intended to publicize the coffee knowledge. And, it never forgets to mention in its brochures about the contribution to the environmental protection and its continuous efforts to promote coffee farmers’ welfare.

我不知道什么时候开始,星巴克布遍了中国很多城市。尽管在1999年星巴克进入中国时,很多人怀疑它是否能成功。不光是北京、上海等大都市,小城市也开始有了星巴克。城市的各个区域都有星巴克,比如大型的商场,学校,甚至是历史景点。在北京故宫里就有一家星巴克,在我所在城市的一条古巷里,也有一家星巴克。在这些地方,星巴克努力地融入当地环境,避免引起争议,说他们破坏了当地的历史文化景观。

实际上,比起咖啡,中国人更喜欢喝茶。我甚至看到很多中老年人到星巴克里面点杯茶,而不是咖啡。坦白地说,星巴克里面的茶不好喝,因为是茶包泡的。星巴克也经常宣称在中国他们致力于发扬咖啡文化,我也确实看到在墙壁上面有图片或者是涂鸦,宣传着咖啡知识。星巴克也从来不会忘记在他们的册子里面宣传他们对环保的贡献,以及他们在提高咖啡种植者福利这方面所做的一贯努力。