Hunanese Food

•  
  • 565
  • 10
  • 6
Yesterday, I went to a restaurant a colleague of mine strongly recommended to me. The place was hidden in an old block, but I assumed that it may be crowded, because most people in Changsha (Hunan) are crazy food lovers. Even past the midnight (usually during the summer), you can still see lots of locals dining outside. Even those restaurants that have the slightest word of mouth recommendation are always packed.

I walked several alleyways and arrived at 6 pm. The place were already full of people. I wasn’t surprised at all. Luckily, after ten minutes, the owner arranged a table for my friend and me. We ordered four dishes, which tasted very good and authentic (VERY SPICEY). Haha. As a Hunanese person who grew up eating spicy food, I enjoyed it, but my friend who grew up in the north of China couldn’t bear its spiciness. He sweated profusely and kept wiping his forehead.

China is a huge country. The cuisines vary from region to region. People in Hunan and Sichuan love eating spicy food. (But Hunanese and Sichuan dishes also have many differences.) People in the east of China enjoy sweet food. Cantonese food is bland and mainly made of seafood. I both work in Guangzhou (Canton) and Changsha. When I’m in Guangzhou, I love eating dim sums.

You should never underestimate Chinese people’s passion for food, which is a very important part of Chinese culture. Though China isn’t an immigrant nation, Changsha, a medium-size city, is even cosmopolitan in terms of food. There are Japanese dishes, French dishes, Mexican dishes, Italian dishes, etc.. Several days ago, I dined at a river-side Nepalese restaurant, whose food tasted amazing. I heard that Mexican food is spicy as well, but the Mexican food here isn’t authentic, so I always want to try the authentic version. Therefore, this time, upon hearing that one of my friends would go to Mexico this June, I immediately asked him to bring some spices for me.

By the way, the most famous Chinese dish in the US, General Tso’s chicken, originated in Changsha, Hunan. While exploring the reasons, I found it very interesting. It’s all about the history of Chinese immigrants in the US. I may share it here one of these days.
昨天,我去了一个同事极力推荐的餐馆。这个餐馆虽然隐藏在一个老城区里,但我估计还是会有很多人。因为大多数长沙人都是吃货。到了半夜(一般是夏天),很多本地人还在外面吃夜宵。餐馆只要有一点点名气,都会人满为患。

我走过几条巷子,傍晚6点抵达了餐馆。不出意外,果然挤满了人。运气还算好,过了十分钟,老板帮我和我朋友安排了一张桌子。我们点了四个菜,味道超赞,很正宗的湘菜。我是湖南人,从小吃辣,所以吃起来津津有味,但是我朋友北方长大,吃不了辣,他大汗淋漓,不停地擦额头。

中国是一个很大的国家,有着不同的菜系。湖南人和四川人喜欢吃辣(不过湘菜和川菜还是有很多不同)。中国东部的人喜欢吃甜,粤菜味道比较淡,主要食材是海鲜。我在广州和长沙两地工作。当我在广州的时候,我喜欢吃早茶。

你无法想象中国人对食物的热情,这是中国文化中重要的一部分。尽管中国不是一个移民国家,但二线城市长沙,就食物而言,全世界的菜式都有。比如有日本料理、法餐、墨西哥餐、意大利餐等等。几天前,我在江边一个尼泊尔餐厅吃咖喱,十分惬意。我听说,墨西哥餐也狠辣,但这里的墨西哥餐厅不地道,所以我总想尝尝地道的墨西哥菜。所以,这次我听说一个朋友6月要去墨西哥,我立马让他帮我带香料。

对了,美国最著名的一道中餐“左宗棠鸡”,起源于长沙。我在搜寻答案的时候,发现过程很有趣。整一个(=完全就是)美国华裔的移民史啊。。。有时间我和大家分享。