(5) Incredible India - The First Impression

•  
  • 692
  • 16
  • 2
A heat wave wahsed over me. (It was over 50 Celsius degrees outside.) Right in front of us was a dirt road. The sidewalks were bustling with a menagerie of strange people dressed in different thickly layered traditional clothes in the scorching sun. Some wore headdresses and robes. I thought, “Don’t they feel hot?” Among the pedestrians strolled various animals such as cows, camels, and donkeys, leaving trails of dung. Tuk-tuks squeezed through the crowds, making sudden brakes or jerky turns.

Opposite the road stood an old, low two-story building. I guessed it to be Central Station. My friend an I made our way towards it. I reached into my pocket, took out a hand towel and covered my nose to protect myself from the pungent smell of excrement and exhaust waste, but it was no use. (Within two days of my trip, I got used to it. Actually, for a first-timer like me, it wasn't bad. It was only part of Delhi. I guess that my initial shock was only because of the stark difference between assumption and the reality. I also overestimated my travel experience because I'd been to several other nations‘ capital cities before, like Bangkok. People in these cities wore modern clothing, T-shirts, jeans, etc.. Urban areas of these cities were also very modern and looked no different from each other.)

I entered the station and tried to find the Foreign Tourist Center, but didn’t have the faintest idea where to look – there were no signs. Looking around, I saw different crowds pacing hastily back and forth. Upon noticing a guy stop in his footsteps, I rushed over to him, asking for help. I sopke to him for about half a minute, he kept nodding but looked at me with a blank face. It dawned on me that he didn’t understand English! I then went upstairs and saw a policeman in uniform. He didn’t speak English either! Just then, two lines of people in traditional attire walked by chanting and beating drums to a deafening volume, as if they were practicing a ritual. I panicked. We'd stumbled into a totally different world! We'd gotton lost!

In despair, we had no choice but to go downstairs. Then, a man wearing a spotless white robe went to us. His clothes were so tidy that he looked conspicuous among the crowd. Smiling, he asked, “Can I help you, sir?” Wow! He spoke English! A savior! “He’s so decent. He must be an employee here,” I thought. I then explained to him that I wanted to go to the Foreign Tourist Center to buy tickets.

“Hmm… I see. But there are no tickets here. You should go to the travel agencies. They can get them for you.” The man said.

“That’s different from what the guidebook said,” I thought, but since he was the only man I could rely on, I chose to believe him.

“I can introduce a tuk-tuk to you guys," he added, "You just pay them 30 rupees to get to the place.”

We went out and hopped onto the tuk-tuk the man referred to us.

Previously on this travel log:
http://lang-8.com/94674/journals/143130393532384921500833141309318483664
一股热浪袭来,外面有50度。呈现在我们面前是一条路,尘土飞扬。路两边有一群奇怪的人,炎炎烈日下穿着厚重的传统服饰。一些人带着头巾,穿着袍子。我心想,“天啊,他们不热吗?”不同的动物穿梭在人群中间,有牛、骆驼和驴,后面还有粪便。突突车在人群中挤来挤去,一下子来个急刹车,一下子又来个急转弯。

马路对面有一栋老旧两层建筑,我猜那就是Central Station了,然后就朝着那里走去。粪便和汽车尾气太刺鼻,我只好从口袋里面拿出一块手巾,捂着鼻子,但还是盖不住。(其实,旅行两天我就习惯了,也不像第一次那样不习惯了。这只是德里的一部分。我觉得我当时觉得震惊,可能源自我想象和现实的差距。我之前去过几个国家首都,比如曼谷,那些城市的人穿着T恤、牛仔裤,非常世俗化,而且城区都非常现代化,没有什么两样。)

我到了车站里,努力寻找着外国游客中心,但丝毫没有头绪。环顾四周,只看见各色人群走来走去。看到一个小伙子停下脚步,我赶紧上前寻求帮助。但说了半分钟,他一点反应也没有,只是不停地点头。我明白了,他不懂英语!我然后跑到二楼,看到一个穿制服的警察,他也不懂英语!正在那时,两列身着传统服装的人经过,又敲又打,声音巨大无比,振聋发聩,好像在举办什么仪式。我极度恐慌,我们误入了一个完全不同的世界,我们真的迷失了。

万念俱灰,我们只得下楼。这时,一个穿着洁白袍子的男子向我们走来,他的衣服很干净,在人群中很扎眼。他笑着说,“我能帮你吗?” 哇!他会说英语!大救星来了!我心想“他穿着仪态都这么得体,肯定是一个工作人员。”然后我告诉他,我想去外国游客中心买票。

“恩。。。我明白了。但这里没有票,你去找旅行社吧,他们可以帮你搞定!”

我心里嘀咕,“这和书中说的不一样啊!”不过当时,他是我们唯一能依靠的人,所以我选择信他一回。

“我给你叫一个突突车吧。只要给他们30卢比就可以了。”

于是,我们出门,上了那人推荐的车。