Murdering Doctors

•  
  • 593
  • 17
  • 5
Today, I read a piece of news that a man broke in, stabbed and tried to kill a physician. Fortunately, the physician was saved. Actually, in China, the news of doctors being murdered hasn’t been new to us. It happens every now and then. Some other doctors were not as lucky to be saved as the aforementioned physician. They ended up dead right in the hospitals where they were murdered. You can imagine how desperately the murderers wanted the doctors to die.

The other day, I watched a news story on TV that in the US, some undocumented immigrant children were worried about being deported. One of them said to the media, “We work hard. Some of us will become doctors and lawyers.” Upon hearing it, I couldn’t help but laugh. It sounds like American kids really love to say they want to become doctors and lawyers someday. It seems like doctors and lawyers are well-respected and are paid high salaries.

In China, however, it isn’t the same. Doctors keep complaining that they don’t receive what they deserve, and risk being killed. They swear that if their kids attend med school, they will beat the hell out of them. (Patients also complain. It would be a long story if I were to expound it.) To be Lawyers isn’t a good choice for students either. Those who have poor grades will go to law school because they don’t have many other choices.

China is an incomprehensible nation, isn’t it?

今天我看了一则新闻,说是一个男子破门而入,用刀要捅死医生。幸运的是,这个医生已经脱离生命危险。其实,在中国,杀医事件时有发生,都不算新闻了。其他医生没有上述的那个医生那么幸运,即便就在医院被捅刀,第一时间抢救,也没有救活。你可以想象,这些凶手多么痛恨医生,置他们于死地。

几天前,我在电视上看新闻,说在美国,一些非法移民小孩担心被驱逐出境。其中一个对着镜头说:“我们非常刻苦。将来我们其中一些人会成为医生和律师。”听到这句话,我不禁哑然一笑。好像美国小孩喜欢说他们将来要做医生和律师。也好像在美国,医生和律师受人敬仰,薪水不菲。

但在中国,完全不一样。医生们怨声载道,付出和回报不成正比倒算了,反倒还冒着生命危险工作。他们发誓,要是他们的子女学医,非打断他们的腿不可。(当然病人也怨气连天,如果我要是在这里进一步阐述,就说来话长了。)对学生而言,律师也不是什么好选择。学习成绩不太好,才去读法学院,因为他们没得太多其它选择。

中国真是一个奇葩国家,不是吗?