#3 Mysterious Amulets: Pixiu / Global Warming = Smog?

•  
  • 555
  • 13
  • 6
Previously: A friend treated me to dinner at a downtown restaurant. The place was already packed when we arrived. We took a number and went out to kill time.
_________

A message was sent to my friend’s phone, saying that it was going to be our turn, so we went back to the restaurant. The restaurant was on the second floor and had no signs outside. But, the place was packed every day. You could know that how much people here loved eating! :-)

After we finished our dinner, we went to the counter to pay the bill. Behind the counter, several cashiers were busy receiving money and returning changes. A few customers were lining up ahead of us, so we had to wait for a while.

“Look!” My friend said, pointing at a bronze statue on the counter. “That must be part of the reason this restaurant’s business is going so well.”

We went closer to the counter and regarded the statue. Ah, it was a statue of a fabled creature called Pixiu, which was, in Chinese culture, symbolic of wealth and power, and was usually represented as a creature with a lion-like body and a dragon-like head.

My friend stroked Pixiu’s stomach, and then shook hands with the creature’s claws, saying, “You should touch its claws, because Pixiu use them to seize money. Luck to make money can be transmitted through touching.”

I laughed and reached out to the statue.

“Hold your fist tight after touching until you tuck your hands into your pocket. Otherwise, the luck will escape into the air,” said my friend, with an earnest face.

Wow. Such a ritual. I followed suit, hoping my luck could be better in this new year.

In the movie “Forest Gump,” after his visit to China, Gump said in an interview that the Chinese never “went to church.” Well, partly, it’s true. In comparison to many other nations, China is a secular nation. However, many people still like to go to temple, and sometimes pray for luck in making money.

__

Today, I read a ridiculous news article in the national media, saying that global warming is the main cause for the smog pollution in China. Some people commented, “Couldn't they pick a more plausible scapegoat?” Haha.
一条信息发到我朋友的手机上,说马上要轮到我们了,所以我们回到了餐馆。餐馆在二楼,没有任何标志,但是仍然每天挤爆,从这一点,你就知道我们这里的人有多好(hao 4声)吃了。

吃完饭后,我们去柜台结账付钱。柜台后,有几个收银员忙着收钱和找零钱。我们前面已经有几个顾客在排队了,所以我们还要等一阵子。

“快看!”我朋友指着桌上的一个青铜雕像,喊道。“我知道为什么这家店生意这么好了!”

我们走近柜台,仔细看着雕像。原来是一个貔貅。在中国文化里面,貔貅象征着着财富和权利,通常有着一个狮身和龙头。

我朋友抚摸着貔貅的肚子,然后和貔貅的爪子握手,对我说:“你应该摸摸貔貅的爪子,因为貔貅是用爪子来捕获财物的。摸一摸会给你带来财运。”

我笑了笑,然后伸手去摸。

“摸完后,把你的手握紧了,然后把手放到你的口袋里,不然财运就跑了。。”我朋友说道,一脸认真。

啊!还这么讲究,于是我依葫芦画瓢,希望今年财运能够好点吧。

在《阿甘正传》这部电影里面,阿甘刚刚到访中国,说中国人不信教。怎么说呢。部分正确。和很多国家相比,中国可以算作是一个非宗教国家。但是,还是有很多人会去寺庙,有时候会求财运。

————————

今天,我在媒体上看到一条很搞笑的新闻,说是全球变暖是中国雾霾问题的主要原因。有人评论说,“难道不能挑一个更好一点的替罪羊吗?”哈哈。