Spring is the Best Season?

•  
  • 793
  • 20
  • 4
“Spring has come. It’s becoming warm and flowers have started blooming.” I grew up hearing this at school, especially in Chinese reading & writing courses. Whenever students wrote essays, they tended to describe the spring, which symbolized hope and prosperity, as the best season. However, I didn’t like spring at all, because in my hometown, it's always cold, damp and rainy in the spring. “Why does everyone say spring is the best season?” As a kid, I didn’t have a clue. Thinking that perhaps I was wrong, when I wrote essays about seasons, I described spring favorably as well.

It was not until I went to Beijing years later as a junior high school student that I started understanding why spring is indeed the most-liked season among Beijingers. The winter in Beijing is long and bitterly cold. In the winter, I didn’t see any green vegetation in Beijing while walking outside. Bare tree branches and barren fields were everywhere. Gusts of dirt blew into my face and made me choke every now and then. But when the spring came, things changed. Grass and leaves started growing. It didn’t rain often in the spring Beijing. The sky was invariably blue. I suddenly came to realize what the spring meant to People in Beijing. It did indeed symbolize hope after a long period of bleak, dreary and harsh days.

At the same time, I was annoyed by this. All this was based on the CENTER of the nation, Beijing. In southern China, the vegetation is evergreen. The isn't as much of a temperature difference between winter and spring as in the north -- the spring isn’t much warmer but rather brings endless rain! Why don’t textbooks bother to mention that all the descriptions about spring are based on the north, and climate is different in southern China? Why is everything based on Beijing? It’s just one of the many examples of China's elementary education focusing on the capital city, regardless of the regional differences.

By the way, it’s been raining for half a month in the area along the Yangtze River. It’s apparently going to end in early April. I would now never say spring is my favorite season, as it would simply be a lie.
"春天来了。天气暖了,花儿开了。" 在读书的时候,语文课上这样的话我从小听到大。每当学生们写文章的时候,总会形容春天是最好的时节,代表着希望和欣欣向荣。但是,我一点也不喜欢春天,因为春天也很冷,还潮湿多雨。“为什么人人都说春天是最好的季节呢?” 我还小的时候,一点都不明白。“也许我错了吧。”所以,在写关于四季的文章的时候,我总是违心地高歌颂扬春天。

直到我念初中的时候,去了北京,才知道为什么。原来,北京人最喜欢的季节真的是春天。北京的冬天又长又寒冷,出门逛的时候,发现不到一点绿。树枝光秃秃的,草地一片贫瘠。随时都有呛人的尘土迎面而来。但是,春天一来,一切都变了样。在这个季节里,草长枝吐芽。而且北京春天不怎么下雨,天空总是蔚蓝。我突然明白,春天对北京人意味着什么了、在一段长长的寒冷凋敝的冬天后,春天真的象征着希望的到来。

但同时,知道这点,我很无语。原来这一切都基于这个国家的中心--北京。在中国南方,植被是四季长青的。春冬的温差也没有北方的大。也就是说,春天也没有多么暖和,反而还无穷无尽地下雨。为什么教科书不注释一下,这是基于北方的呢?为什么不解释中国的南方情况不一样呢?难道因为只是Beijing是这样么?这仅仅是众多例子中的一个,启蒙教育知识都是基于国家首都的,根本不考虑地方差异。

我还想说,在长江流域,雨下了有半个月了。这场雨据说要到4月初才结束。反正我是不会再说,春天是我最喜欢的季节了,这仅仅是违心话而已。