American Sniper

•  
  • 903
  • 15
  • 4
Yesterday, I saw the movie “American Sniper” on the Internet. It is said to be a hit movie in the US. I personally think it is enjoyable, though a little unremarkable. As a non-American, I find the movie is full of every stereotype about Americans in existence, or more specifically, southern or western Americans – the protagonist is a cowboy, who does rodeo and reads the Bible.

Some may be nauseated by the scene where the sniper killed a kid and his mother, but I think it is quite understandable. It is no easy task to know the intentions of civilians in that very unclear situation. Either he shoots, killing a civilian in a warzone to save the lives of his comrades, or he doesn’t take the shot and risks losing comrades to save the life of a civilian. There is no winning choice. I am sure that after the war he suffered from PTSD, though some say there is little sign of it, and he is more like a well-trained, cold-blooded, and remorseless killer. I am also very sad to know that in the end he was killed by a veteran he was trying to help; he could have been a loving and caring father.

It is definitely the kind of biopic that leaves the audience to discuss whether it is pro-war or anti-war. I guess some Americans think he is a great patriotic soldier, and some may feel a little uncomfortable when America idolizes him as a hero – they think he killed many strangers overseas in an “unjust” war, namely the Iraq war.

I know it is an oversimplification, but movies about Texas always give viewers an impression that most Texans are fundamentalist Christians. To what extent is that real? Most Chinese people are uninformed about Texas excpet for Houston Rockets, because Yao Ming once played for this team.

昨天,我在网上看了《美国狙击手》这部电影。据说,这部电影在美国很热门。我个人这部电影值得一看,只是没有想象的那么好看。作为一个外国人,我觉得这部电影充斥着很多美国人的典型特征,更具体地说,是美国西部或者南部的人。主人公是一个牛仔,喜欢参加赛马,也读圣经。

看到他杀掉一个小男孩和他母亲的那一幕,很多人会觉得很残忍。但是我觉得也是可以理解的,在那种情境中,他很难去判断平民的真实意图。要么开枪射击,杀掉平民保护队友,要么不开枪,保护平民但会危及队友的生命。总之,怎样做都不对。我觉得他战后肯定遭受着“创伤后应激障碍症”的痛苦,尽管有些人说他更像是一个训练有素,毫无罪恶感的冷血杀手。他最后想帮助一个老兵渡过战后的心理创伤,却被其杀害。到底是美化战争,还是反战?这绝对是一部引发观众讨论的电影。我猜想,一些美国人会认为他是爱国英雄战士,而有些人认为过于崇拜他有些不可取,因为他参加了“非正义”的战争,比如说伊战。

关于德州的电影总是给人一种印象,大部分德州人都是基督教原旨主义者。我知道这过于笼统,所以这到底有多真?大多数中国人对于德克萨斯州知道的不多,除了休斯顿火箭队,因为姚明曾经在这个队打球。