(4) Incredible India – The Arrival

•  
  • 477
  • 6
  • 4
After a couple of hours, the plane began to slow and tilt downward – we were about to arrive. I inclined my head toward the tiny oval window, pressed my nose against it, and watched the city of Delhi grow bigger and bigger beneath me. Amidst this sprawling landscape, a snow-white lotus stood out. I guessed that was the iconic landmark – the 70-meter wide Bahá'í Lotus Temple constructed in 1986. “Delhi is so big! It must be an amazing city,” I thought.

The New Delhi International Airport is indeed very big and it’s one of the best airports I’ve ever seen! Upon entering, a aroma of mild exotic perfume blew into my face. The architecture was gorgeously designed – very modern, but incorporating ancient Indian elements. Even the bathroom design was very refreshing and creative. A big picture on the wall of a handsome sahib in Indian traditional costume indicated the entrance to the men’s bathroom, and a profile of a beautiful young Indian rahini dressed in sari showed the women’s.

Treading on the soft carpet towards the Delhi Metro, already I was imagining how the rest of this city would appear. The Metro line seemed very high-tech, but there were few passengers inside. I arranged my luggage and basked in the cool breeze coming out of the vents. After a while, the train arrived at New Delhi Central Railway Station, where I was going to buy some tickets reserved for foreign tourists.

Actually, before departure, I’d read some articles complaining about India’s bad infrastructure. I'd originally prepared to be disappointed, but witnessing the airport and subway ignited my anticipation. “Those undeveloped infrastructures must be in far-flung areas. Every country has places that are still under development,” I thought to myself.

But, upon stepping out of the subway station, I was stunned… Is it REALLY the capital city of a rising superpower?

Previously on this travel log:
http://lang-8.com/94674/journals/78991205887644459198432065507904359372
几个小时后,飞机开始向下倾斜,开始减速 – 快到新德里了。我把头伸往舷窗,鼻子贴着玻璃,看着脚下的新德里越变越大。在广袤的地表上,一朵雪白的莲花很显眼。我猜就是莲花寺,新德里的地标建筑。“德里真大呀!肯定是一个精彩的大都市!”

新德里国际机场非常高大上(means高端大气上档次),是我见过的最好机场之一。一进门,一股淡淡的异域香气扑面而来。机场设计很赞,非常现代化,但也融入了古代印度文化元素。就连洗手间的设计也是别出心裁(creative),一幅穿着印度传统服饰的帅哥照片在挂在男厕所的门口,沙丽美女照指明的就是女厕所了咯。

踩着软软的地毯,我前往搭乘地铁,我开始想象新德里将会有多现代化。地铁也非常现代化,但是乘客不多。坐在列车上,我整理着我的行李,尽情享受着空调凉风。我要前往新德里中央火车站,去买专门为外国旅客保留的火车票。

实际上,在出发前,我就读过一些游记,抱怨印度的基础设施太差劲。我本来已经做好了心理准备,但当我看到先进的印度机场和地铁后,我开始变得期待起来。我心想:“那些基础设施差的地方肯定是在边远地区啊。哪个国家没有落后的地方。”

但是,当我一走出地铁站,我惊呆了。。。啊!这真的是一个崛起大国的首都吗?这可是首都啊!