Starbucks' Marketing Strategies

•  
  • 900
  • 6
  • 3
The recipe for Starbucks' success, I think, is the shop locations and the quality coffee-based drinks it offers. The shops are really an ideal place for people to catch up with their old friends, to have a casual meeting, and whatnot. They are actually unpretentious in designs and usually have a poor air-conditioning (they are not that cozy in winters, and I presumed it was part of Starbucks’ efforts to be eco-friendly), but their places are definitely noticeable! At any time, Starbucks has focused on selecting high-visibility and high-traffic locations to project its brand image. When we are calling friends to gather, simply by saying “Hey, we will see you at a Starbucks at xxx,” he or she will find the place effortlessly.

As for the coffee, they do serve invariable good quality espresso; the drink I mostly order is “Caffe Americano,” sometimes with one more shot or milk in it, via their thoughtful customized service. Most importantly, never forget about their marketing methods! One year ago, a Starbucks seller persuaded me into buying a membership card, explaining it was more cost-effective. After that, induced by its coupons, I became a regular customer, despite knowing the prices of the Starbucks drinks in China are the most expensive around the world. Note: Last year, CCTV, China’s largest TV networks, turned on Starbucks blaming it is offering coffee at the higher prices in China than the rest of the world, and therefore evoked a heated public discussion. Starbucks managed to get through it, and I was pretty impressed with its PR crisis management.

The other day, Starbucks China emailed me with a notification that I was eligible for a gold card that would offer more discount coupons. That means I was going to drink more coffee in its shops than I had ever done. Sighing, I thought to myself, “Well, Starbucks, you won!”

我认为,他们成功的秘诀在于选址和高质量的咖啡饮料。星巴克确实是一个老友叙旧的好地方。实际上,星巴克的店面设计并不奢华,空调效果也不好,冬天里也不暖和,但是他们的店面地址确实很容易找到!当我们打电话给朋友聚会时,只要说在某某地方的星巴克见,他们就能轻而易举地找到。

说到咖啡,他们确实提供品质如一的浓缩咖啡,他们也注重客户的个性化需求,比如,我最喜欢的是美式咖啡,有时候会加些牛奶或者是加一份浓缩。最绝的其实是他们的营销手段。一年前,一个星巴克工作人员向我推销了一张会员卡,说是买咖啡更划算。所以,从那以后,那些优惠券总是引诱着我去星巴克,我也成为了一名常客,即便我知道星巴克在中国卖的咖啡是全世界最贵的。去年央视曾经批评星巴克在中国卖着最贵的咖啡还引发了公众大讨论,但是星巴克成功地度过了这关。我对他的危机公关能力深有印象。

前几天,星巴克中国发了一封邮件给我,说是我已经达到积分要求,要寄给我一张金卡。我无奈地叹了口气:“好吧,星巴克,你赢了。”