Antibiotics Overuse

•  
  • 682
  • 7
  • 2
“Mom, I think I have a cold.” A little boy says.
Feeling his head, the mother exclaims, “Oh, that’s a fever!”
In China, what usually happens next is that the parent frantically rushes the poor little kid to the hospital and gets him hooked up to an IV.
Although it is said that one will recover from the cold in a week without taking medicine, – only drinking several times as much water as usual will do – Chinese won’t be patient to wait that long, because they think it is rather time-consuming. Truly, they do feel better shortly after taking the IV drip, so they can get back to studies or work as soon as possible. There is even a piece of news that the whole class in a high school took an IV to strengthen their immune system before Gaokao (the Chinese SAT).
It has even evolved to the point that if a doctor doesn’t prescribe an IV option, he or she will be considered irresponsible by the patient.
In recent years, the mass media always try to publicize the medical facts. They say the efficacy of antibiotics will be attenuated by the pubic overuse, as the pathogen may grow resistant to the drugs, so the gratuitous hypodermic syringe should be avoided. But, who cares? There is no law or restriction over it, and don’t count on the self-sacrifice out of them either.
In your country, what will the people do in this situation?
“妈妈,我想我感冒了。”小男孩说道。
摸了摸他的头,妈妈喊道,“啊,发烧了!”
在中国,母亲通常会带着小男孩焦急地去医院,然后打吊针。
据说不吃药,只要一个星期感冒都能好(只要喝平时几倍的水就可以了),但是中国人都不会耐心地等那么久,他们认为这样相当地耗费时间。确实,打完吊针马上就能见效,他们马上就能重新投入到学习和工作当中去。甚至还有新闻说,为了准备高考,某高中某班全班都会打吊针来增强免疫力。
事情甚至会发展到这一个地步,如果一个医生不给病人挂水,会被认为是不负责任的。
最近几年,大众媒体也会努力地宣传医学知识,说滥用抗生素会增强病原体的抗药性,所以不应该随便使用。可是,谁会关心呢?又没有法律或者规定来规范这些事,也不要指望他们能够自我牺牲。
在你的国家,人们如果遇到这种情况,会怎样处理呢?