The Father of China's High Speed Rail

•  
  • 762
  • 9
  • 4
As HSR is becoming increasingly prevalent, the objections seem to recede. Within 380 miles to the destination, people would love to choose HSR rather than planes, because the extra hours saved by planes will be lost due to the earlier presence of the passengers required by the security check at the airport. Now, the government is even very ambitiously planning to sell its HSR programs around the world, including Thailand and Mexico.

An anecdote:
The former minister of China’s railway department, Mr. Liu Zhijun, fathered the HSR program in China. In 2011, I was selected as an English-speaking volunteer by the department for the 7th World HSR Congress in Beijing, which was for the first time held in an Asian country.

In that congress, I was mainly in charge of ushering some foreign officials to the conference hall, so I also had a chance to see Mr. Liu in person. Several years later, Mr Liu was put into prison for bribery and corruption during the massive construction of China’s HSR. He has become a controversial person because of many legendary stories about him.
随着高铁日益普及,这种反对的声音似乎也在逐渐消退。在600公里以内,比起飞机,人们更倾向于选择高铁出行。因为坐飞机还需要安检,因此更耗费时间。现在政府更加地雄心壮志向全世界推销高铁,比如泰国和墨西哥。

轶事补充:
中国铁道部前部长刘志军被称为中国的高铁之父。2011年,我有幸被选为“第七次世界高速铁路大会”的志愿者,我的主要职责是引导国外的政府官员入场,所以我也有机会亲自见到刘志军。几年后,刘志军被控在高铁大跃进中贪污受贿,因此被捕入狱。他也成为了一个有传奇色彩的人物。