Dear Japanese Language Learners - 頑張りましょう!

•  
  • 219
  • 9
  • 1
  • Japanese 
I was thinking today about puzzles and how similar putting a puzzle together is to learning a language. If you have ever opened a puzzle box to assemble a 2000+ piece puzzle, or any large puzzle, than you know the task looks very daunting. The only encouragement you have is the picture on the front of the box to guide you along the way. That picture on the box is similar to all the resources out there to help you learn this or really any other language out there.

The one thing everyone knows about puzzles and that of any language is that: It is not a one day affair. Osmosis does not exist in terms of learning - it does not flow from a high concentration to a low concentration without effort. It takes days, weeks, or even months to complete a complex puzzle, similar to how it takes years to become fluent in a language – both require a great deal of patience.

As a child, I remember when I would see two puzzle pieces that I would of swore, would of gone together – to only discover that they are an impossible fit. I relate this to when we are learning how to write and to speak. We put together those verbs, nouns, adjectives, etc. in a sentence hoping and praying that they would be a match – to only discover that they aren’t. After a bit of disappointment, we set those pieces to the side and take note that those pieces do not fit together, just like we take note that those parts of the sentence don’t go together – when we error.

Nevertheless, there comes that time when you find those two special pieces that go together and that picture that you see on the box begins to take form before your eyes. This is how I feel now. My jumbled puzzle is not so jumbled any more. I got the boarder of my puzzle set up and I am gradually filling in the center. The task is still great, but it is not one that I am going to quit.

No matter where you are in your assembly of your puzzle. Don’t give up!!! For every wrong piece you put together, you are a step closer to putting the right one in place.

Let’s do our best, 頑張りましょう, until our puzzle is complete.