JOYCE 10

•  
  • 131
  • 2
  • 2
JOYCE 10

I think that the chapter is both an exercise in perspectivism and constructionism. However this does not imply that the perspective is just one for each vignette.
There is the narrator, and there are also the protagonists`s point of view.
About the constructionism, I believe that Joyce uses language in both its directions of form and content, sound and meaning, senses and thoughts.
It is hard to figure out if one has more importance than the other. Compared to the vast majority of other writers, Joyce stands out for the importance given to the form.
He would probably believed that the two realms need to be inseparable and almost indistinguishable one from another.
I am not sure that this episode works as a model for the whole book. A microcosm should contain the totality of the elements of the macrocosm; I do not think that this is the case. It is seems to me more plausible that the form of this chapter perfectly matches the content of it. The episode describes the two more powerful entities of Dublin; compare to their influential and authoritative passage, the city population is reduced to a sort of 'wandering rocks'. They do not have the great sense of purpose of the reverend Conmee and of the governor. Of course this interpretation of reality well reveal an intrinsic irony: all the protagonists of the episode follow a very meaningful direction while the two political figures almost parade among them.
I think that Joyce uses these vignettes to show the fragmentary spectacle of Dublin (aka the world) as the center of the narration; I would say, at the center of every possible narration. The wondering rocks are a metaphor for a modern city inhabitants. They seems to be unbound, as the vignettes, but they are bind together by power and its representations.