FINAL

•  
  • 351
  • 3
  • 2
FINAL
The next article that we are going to consider has a great importance for what concerns the deep structure of a videogame. As seen before, videogames that enhance oral production throughout repetition and imitation are not useful in this context.
Evaluating the internal structure of a video or music games will be really fundemental because this structure is the metaphoric place where the language can be acquired. If the deep structure of a videogame requires interaction by means or communicative tasks such as information exchange activity, that means that we are close to our goal, that is, to find a correct criteria to asses these technologic devises.

Once found a correct criteria to value them, we could test them throughout an experiment and verify which abilities they develop and in which extent they do it. There would be a step further versus the correct use of them and their integration in the second language learning path.
As said the next review will be important because it introduces the concept of narrative. It is 3D narrative, of course, but the tridimensional doesn`t affect negatively the deep structure of the games. They tell us a story, and, in most the case they let us to give a contribute to the building of it.

The concept of narrative is related not only to the representation of the reality but also to its construction. As the author said “the intentional action of the actor within these spaces, and that these actors shape and transmit knowledge by means of narrative structure…”

This study is extremely influenced by Bruner theory. The premise is that knowledge of ourselves and the knowledge of the world are closely related and that narrative is the net that connects one to another.
I quoted the authors: “Bruner noted that people apprehend reality and organize knowledge by means of narrative structures and furthermore, that these structures are the primary mode of communication”
We can hear here how decisive for the author seems to be narrative and its structure. And this aspect, the reproducibility of a situation in different scenarios is one of the most important task of Communicative Approach. Thus we can notice the convergence between a psychological theory and the more famous teaching methods.

Another author sustains the same hypothesis, Balboni that in his book explains how the learning process is a process that happens between mental and world and that indicates learners are always involved in a situation that can be a stimulus or not, for the learning process.
As the authors say:”…between the personal and the communal, narrative functions as a “third place” in which individuals can refashion their identity and reexamine the roles the play within a new community of practice.”

Their observations bring them to this conclusion. Moreover they make another distinction there could reveal to be very interesting for our project. They observe there are two main kinds of videogames: the operational ones that use operational pattern and the generative ones which are more important in this context and that let the player/learner create another reality.
The operational ones stands in stark contrast to gameplay designed to support a narrative gestalt, which is “a cognitive structure allowing the perception and understanding of an unfolding sequence of phenomenon as a unified narrative”
Basically the contrast it is between narratology and ludology. This difference will be extremely relevant in our study because designs an opposition between having fun and be involved that we want to use in the prosecution of this study.