Nowadays animal experiments are widely used to develop new medicine...

•  
  • 4600
  • 0
  • 1
Nowadays animal experiments are widely used to develop new medicines and to test the safety of other products. Some people argue that these experiments should be banned because it is morally wrong to cause animals to suffer, while others are in favour of them because of their benefits to humanity.
Discuss both views and give your own opinion.

VERSION 02

It is true that animal testing has played an important role for the advancement in medicine as well as for the testing of other products. While some people argue that this should be changed in order to respect the life of animals, I strongly believe that we should, at least, keep testing new medicines on animals not only for the benefit of humans but also for the benefit of animals.

The obvious arguments of those who support the idea to ban animal experimentation are that some medicines may have unknown side effects and/or may cause animals to suffer. In order to discover the best way to cure a disease, sometimes many different drugs are tested on animals. During this process, it is common to discover that what was thought to be the cure, has many drawbacks (e.g. it causes pain, has dangerous side effects, or causes other diseases). The animals used in this type of experiment ended up suffering from these drawbacks.

However, the benefits of development of better medicines is more important than stopping the suffering that some of these animals experience. The medicine available nowadays to treat cardiovascular diseases can improve the quality of life of humans and even animals sometimes. For instance, our dog has a cardiovascular disease and the veterinary prescript him the same remedy used by humans. Without prior testing on animals, we probably would not have come to develop this specific medicine; this is also true of many other remedies.

In conclusion, although some animals may suffer from scientific experiments, the benefits for humans and even, sometimes, for animals outweight the suffering.
Hi there, I made some improvements in the above Essay based on the feedback I recieved here at Lang-8 from a fellow.