Book 9 Test 2 – Unpaid community services during high school.

•  
  • 385
  • 0
  • 0

People have different views about the obligation of doing charity during high school. Although performing charity work to improve the community’s general well-being could be a rewarding experience for students and an added benefit to the community, thus a service should not be compulsory.

Working in a charity program during high school could be beneficial for both: the community in which the service is developed and the students. The community where charity services are done tend to have a higher level of general well-being and students can understand the positive aspects that charity can promote around them. Students who develop social works have normally a broader view of the society and tend to keep developing their environment later on in their adult life. For example, my friend Pedro used to teach math in slum areas of Rio de Janeiro. This helped poor students to access better colleges. Pedro now works in a big company and run a non-governmental institution.

However, charity being an obligation may not promote the benefits it normally does. When people have to develop an activity contrary to their will, most of the time the quality of the job is lower than expected. It could happen when students see charity as a mandatory task of high school. For instance, imagine someone who have to teach math in a slum area but do not desire to do so, he or she may give a poorer class than anyone else who desire do the same job motivated by the pleasure of helping.

Overall, charity during high school can contributes to not only the community’s general well-being but also make students feel rewarded by their work done. Society must provide ways for young people to become involved in charity, but turning this activity in a compulsory part of student’s life will not be as beneficial as it could be.