Are advertisements simply a means of encouraging consumers to spend money on products they have no need for?

•  
  • 201
  • 4
  • 4
Throughout history, advertisements had the function of introducing products and services in order to cover needs of people. But I honestly think that nowadays, due to the development of capitalism, invention is the mother of necessity, not the other way around, for a variety of reasons.

First of all, new things are produced everyday so market is created to buy these things through advertisement. Businessmen advertise their goods in various ways and it is how people begin to feel the need for even those goods of which they had never heard before. Besides, business strategies draw the consumer’s attention by continuos exposure showing the quality and benefits of products and trying that viewers identify with advertiser’s characteristics.
Additionally, it seems that latetly people try to cover psychological needs with material products: more expensive clothes to increase our self esteem, cutting edge technology to be admired, etc. What is more, some people fall into the error of feeling superior and confidente by owning more maternal things. This can be translate into greater vulnerability to advertising and therefore a higher likelihood of consuming unnecessary products.

All in all, my opinion on the matter is that we should be carefoul with advertisement and we should use our own mind, instead of blindly following the advice of the advertisement since the goal of our society is to get a consumer to buy something that they don’t have. After all, it is easy to be tempted by unnecessary attractive things.