Parenting in the 21st Century

•  
  • 276
  • 1
  • 3
Parenting is one of the toughest jobs in the world. Parents are called to provide for the physiological, financial, social and psychological needs of children without being sure if they are doing a good or poor job until many years later. Combined with this are the demands of nowayday’s society.
First of all, our society has changed greatly and nowadays most women, like men, work outside the home, so it appears the difficulty in reconciling work with private life. The result is that parents feel that they don’t dedicate enough time on child-rearing and they suffer guilt. As a consequence, parents try to suply this with material things and too permissive attitudes. Then, children don’t learn to valorize things since they can own easily whatever they want. The problem comes in the future, when they became adult and they must struggle to achieve goals, so finally they get frustrated.
Besides, many of today’s parents were brought up in a disciplinary education, so they had an hard infancy, asfixed by strict rules and without doing many things that they wanted to do. This is why they don’t want such discipline for their children and they enjoy looking at them doing whatever they want. The problem comes when education is too much permisive since it causes difficulty to assume responsibilities and self-control.
All in all, parenting in an age like ours is really difficult. Children demand a lot of attention but at the same time, parents have less and less time for them. In my view, parents should try to spend as much time as possible with children, showing interest for them and educating in values, but correcting bad behaviors and avoiding guilty feelings which drive them to be too much permissive.