GENETICALLY MODIFIED FOODS

•  
  • 448
  • 3
  • 2
Nowadays genetically modified food is widespread all over the world. More and more GM foods appear in supermarkets and make their way into our kitchens. However, their safety and ethical concerns are still being debated.
Some people ensure that these foods are safe for human consumption, but other people argue that their effects haven’t been studied long enough so they could badly affects our health. Some studies have linked consumptions of GM foods to liver and kidney problems. The antibiotics and hormones given to cows and chickens are found in our bodies and we don’t know yet the possible consequences. In the most cases the vegetables are modified to look better and be larger so that these companies can make more money. They don’t add to the taste or freshness of nutrition of the food.
On the other hand, a lot of people believe that genetically modified foods can help to solve the food crisis in future, and help humanity to survive. Firstly, all of sorts of GM plants are stable against illnesses and mean weather. Also, GM food is cold tolerant. An antifreeze gene has been introduced into plants such as tobacco and potato. Secondly, they ripen fast and keep longer than usual plants. It is easier to transport them and keep fresh for a long time.
In my opinion, genetic engineering should be banned because young generation will have different diseases because of eating unhealthful food. Of course, this is a huge industry nowadays that obviously can’t be stopped, but I believe that there are other ways to save people from hunger.