Can You Make Yourself Understood in English if You Master Only "Give" and "Get" Expressions?

•  
  • 890
  • 20
  • 8
When I was in collage, I bought a book titled "Give Get 辞典 (jiten)" whose subtitle was "A Dictionary of "Give" and "Get" Expressions." The author of the book was Michihiro Matumoto, who was a renowned simultaneous interpreter and an TV English teacher aired by NHK.

The reason why I bought that book was that I knew "get" was the word that is the most frequently used. Actually, the following sentences appear in junior high textbook; I got your letter. The days are getting longer. I hope you'll get better soon. You have to get dressed. You'll be easily get bored. I've got to get my hair cut. etc etc….
When I teach English to my junior and high school students, I recommend them to learn idioms with easy words, such as "have""make ""take ""get" and "give."

By the way, he also wrote a book tilted, "Get と Giveだけで英語は通じる" (You can make yourself understood in English if you will master only "give" and "get" expressions. ) Even though he is an authority on English education, it seems to me that it is going too far. What do you think about that?

Notice: His books were written for advanced learners
私が大学生だった時、「Give Get 辞典」という本を買った。そのサブタイトルは「"Give" と"Get"を使った表現辞典」で著者は松本道弘氏だった。彼は当時、日本で最も著名な同時通訳者でNHKテレビ英会話の講師でもあった。

その本を買った理由は、"get” が英単語の中で最も使用頻度が高いと知っていたからだ。実際、次のような例文が中学校のテキストに載っている。I got your letter. The days are getting longer. I hope you'll get better soon. You have to get dressed. You'll be easily get bored. I've got to get my hair cut. etc etc….
中高生に英語を教える時私は、"have""make" take""get""give" のような易しい単語を使ったイディオムを出来るだけたくさん覚えることを勧めている。

松本氏は、さらに「"Get と Giveだけで英語は通じる 」という本も書いているが、いくら英語の達人でも、それはちょっと言い過ぎじゃないかと私は思う。あなたはどう思いますか?

注意:彼の本は、上級者を対象にしています。