Tips for Japanese Learners #4

•  
  • 286
  • 12
  • 3
Mar 24, 2018 10:44 ForJapaneseLearners
I think every language has words and phrases that sound cool and sophisticated. Among them, Japanese has a number of choices, so I guess that sometimes you choose something that sounds cool seriously, but, too serious Japanese people correct it relentlessly. This time, I’ll introduce some relatively common words and phrases that sound cool and sophisticated as far as I know. As you know, it depends on a situation eventually, but also keep it in mind that there are some suspicions that they were not so good at national language in school, or they’re obsessed with “sounds-natural syndrome” which never accepts technique of connotation and seasoning. (You might think this like me, but sometimes people correct your words and phrases though they overlook poor usages by native speakers.) If you have a beef about me when you’re corrected, I’ll be your customers service.

「恐縮」(Kyousyuku)
This is a polite and convenient expression which has some meanings which denote “thank you” and “I’m sorry.” It's nice use to this word when you feel bad about doing or be being done something.

「お忙しい中、添削していただいて恐縮です。」
  (I really appreciate for correcting my entry though you’re busy.)

「恐縮ですが、その申し出については辞退させていただきます。」
  (I’m so sorry, but I would decline the offer.)

「僥倖」(Gyoukou)
This means “unexpected fortune.” It’s good to use when you want to express your delight elegantly.

「このような形でお会いすることができたことは、まさに僥倖です。」
  (This is a sheer chance that I meet you like this.)

「なんという僥倖っ…!」
  (How extraordinary lucky this is… !) (A line in a manga)

「噴飯」(Hunpan)
This means a situation like it’s so funny enough to blow out what you’re eating. We usually use it as “噴飯もの”(so funny thing).

「うちの総理が、「私の行動力にお任せください」と言ったのは噴飯ものだった。」
  (It was so funny that our prime minister said, “Please leave it to my ability to carry out.”)

「彼女がお尻であいつをプールに突き落としてしまったのは噴飯ものだったよ。」
  (It made me laugh loud that she pushed him into the pool with her butt.)

「忖度」(Sontaku)
You can use this when you give much thought to someone. The word won the grand prize in the buzzwords contest last year. You know, it sounds cool, right?

「仕事の場で良好な人間関係を築くには、常に相手を忖度することが大事だ。」
  (It’s important to take care of the other person anytime to have good relationships with co-workers.)

「世界平和のためには、全ての人が忖度できる必要がある。」
  (To make our world peaceful, Everybody needs to be able to sympathize with people.)

There are still a lot of words and phrases, but I’ll finish my entry now. I'll make the sequels sometime in the future.

Thank you for reading my entry.