About Couchsurfing, for which I have particularly gentle feelings

•  
  • 118
  • 0
  • 0
Jul 23, 2017 19:08 #impbased #mariapetrova #couchsurfing
I've mentioned it before, that Couchsurfing is not just a community or a tool for looking for accommodation, but a kind of philosophy.

The philosophy is quite simple (things are beautiful in their simplicity): you have to trust people and you have to talk to them.

If you want to rent someone's sofa/mattress/sleeping bag or a tent with someone in the backyard, you have to be willing to communicate with your host and get along with each other. This is exactly the main feature: you do not check in a hotel, you visit someone. A particular person.

You should be ready to wake up early in the morning and leave the house together with the owner, if he has no keys for you, or that all the dwellers will pass by one while you sleep peacefully on the sofa in the kitchen.

You do not need to worry about your property, believe me, someone who lets a stranger into his house theoretically get into the much greater risk, and probably has no interest in your old laptop or new iPhone.

Security in general is a separate issue. The page moderators work on it all the time and basically everything works fine (there are always a number of links to basic security tips that are required for reading). But the registration remains free, so you can not lose the vigilance

Read your reviews. Specifies which ones. There it is the scaffolding on which everything holds. Be careful with the people who have an empty profile and who have no comments. If you should decide for this host, write first. Just on the case.
I once stayed in Germany with a Portuguese immigrant who had a completely empty profile. Nothing happened to me, everything was fine, we got along very well. To date, we are in contact.

From personal experience: sometimes you get a private message with the suggestion of meeting each other somewhere. Today, for example, I was invited for a cup of coffee. The news have different degrees of appropriateness and what to do with them is, of course, left to you. Because this can be followed by an invitation to some interesting event as well as to a naked workshop.

One of the first rules of the Couchsurfing is that it is not a dating resource, but not everyone and not always understands it, so sometimes you have to be patient. And to inform the sidemoderators. Please always inform her about explicitly blunt messages, so you make the world a better place.

If you search for a host in a particular location and make an open request, you will get an absolute guarantee of both adequate and obvious doubts. I recommend you to sort them out.

A frequently asked and stereotypical question about harassment. My answer is honest: it is not impossible.
I had a not too pleasant experience, but I went out completely undisturbed and in my safety in no way threatened me. I complained to the side moderators, the profile of the man was removed and I forgot about the incident.

My personal statistics: in three and a half years I had about 12-15 hosts aged 24 to 40, among them there was not a single woman.
In other words, it was always the single men of different ages. It looks written, of course, somewhat strange, but somehow it always leaves good, quiet and within the limits of decency. I am still in touch with the majority of them.

In addition, the weekly meeting of the Couchsurfers takes place in every city. You can find information about this on the city page. Such a meeting can be visited quietly, which is definitely interesting and absolutely safe. Here in Ljubljana, for example, I always go there on Wednesdays.

In general, if you feel that it is the right thing for you, you do not need to hesitate to try.
If you want to explore a city or country from within, Couchsurfing is the best way to do this (c).