Is purchasing arts wasting money?

•  
  • 92
  • 0
  • 1
Mar 15, 2019 06:23 art
Question:

Some people think that the government is wasting money on the arts and that this money could be better spent elsewhere.

To what extent do you agree with this view?

---

My Answer:

I somewhat agree with this view. It is commonly admitted fact that public institutions spend an incredible amount of budget in common sense for purchasing and installing an art work.

In my opinion, several factors, listed below exert influences on that view.

- Any institution or person has to purchase an art work for market price. And, the market price is high.
- It is extremely difficult to measure the effectiveness of an art work.
- It is unclear that what objectives and issues art works solve.
- It is a fact that there are quite a few public figures purchase art works created by their artist friends.
- It is taxpayers who pay for art works.

Thus, it is no wonder that those who don't find art interesting recognise the government is wasting money.

There is an interesting movement called Artivism in the art scene these past years. Art which used to be quite isolated from society is now seeking a way to contribute it. Banksy, JR and Ai Weiwei are leading persons in this field. The artists' works are represented by a form of public art in most of the cases but we find them in the white rooms of museums. For them, art isn't something to compete for beauty, to extend cognitive boundaries and blame past art. They believe that art is an uncategorised form of expression, which doesn't belong to any other academism.

This change, in the end, is very likely to join together with the mainstream of art and started being recognised as having a certain roll in society. There, we somehow provide an explanation about the benefit of paying for art works, to those who don't find them worth it for the time being.