The Essential Element of Chinese-English Translation

•  
  • 337
  • 2
  • 1
Mar 3, 2018 11:43 English
There is a renowned translation scholar who used to live in the Qing dynasty:Yan Fu.

He said that the top three elements about Chinese-English translation are:Being loyal to consist with the original language, fluent and easy to understand, a nice rhetoric.

the above passage comes from my GEPT test textbook, it points out that the GEPT intermediate-level test requires the first two elements:Being loyal to consist with the original language, fluent and easy to understand.

This test includes Chinese-English translation questions, so the examinees need a basic translation ability to complete the questions.

For instance, which words should be omit or leave when a sentence translate into English, all of these knowledge have to keep it up every day, because there is a proverb said that Rome was not built in a day.
(有一位在清朝有名的學者:嚴復)

(他曾說中英翻譯的三大要素是:忠於原文、流暢易懂、修辭精煉)

(以上的課文來自我的全民英檢教科書,它指出全民英檢中級考試要求前兩項要素:忠於原文、流暢易懂)

(這個考試包含中英翻譯題,所以受試者需要基本的翻譯能力來完成題目)

(舉例來說,當一句句子翻譯成英文的時候,哪些字應該省略或留下,這些知識要每天學習,因為有一句諺語說羅馬不是一天造成)