People all over China will usually set off firecrackers and light f...

•  
  • 150
  • 0
  • 0
People all over China will usually set off firecrackers and light fireworks during The Spring Festival, especially on New Year's Eve and New Year's Day. If you go to China on those days, you'll hear the dense sound of explosions all day long, as if a war has broken out. There's a tale for this custom. A Long time ago, there was a fierce monster called "Nian", who would go out each year on the New Year's Eve and eat the villagers. Then an old man came to the village on New Year's Eve, while others were preparing to hide in the mountains. When Nian came at night, it heard the sound of firecrackers, which were set off by the old man. The monster was scared and escaped. It turned out that Nian was afraid of the red color, the light, and the explosive sound. After that, people would post New Year scrolls,set off firecrackers, and stay up all night in The New Year's Eve, which had become a significant custom of The Spring Festival.
Unfortunately, the firecrackers and fireworks always pollute the air. Due to the severe smog in China, the government has put some restrictions on fireworks. People in cities also set off fewer firecrackers recently.