"Bicycle account Bogotá 2014."

•  
  • 551
  • 1
  • 1
I just continued to read an article which I mentioned yesterday. I just read it for ten minutes this morning. However, I want to write about the bike infrastructure in Bogota Colombia. I don't always think Colombia is safe in general. For example, drag, refugees. How do you feel that? On the other hand, the city has developed long bike lanes of 400 kilometers in total. I will quote some phrases from "Bicycle account Bogota 2014."

Attention: You don't have to correct any of the quoted "phrases" below. Thank you.

"Bogotá has experienced what is often considered one of the greatest urban and cultural transformations of the last decades. Towards the end of the twenty-first century, a series of mayors changed the meaning of citizenship, the use of public space, and the physical landscape of the city. One of these mayors’ most visible efforts was the promotion of cycling as a viable mode of daily transport. Before 1995, there were no segregated bikeways in the city; at the end of 2014, there are almost 400 kilometers (Secretaría Distrital de Movilidad, 2014b). Bicycle use in Bogotá has increased dramatically (from less than 1% modal share in 1996 to 6% in 2014) (Bogotá Como Vamos, 2014; Steer Davies and Gleave & Centro Nacional de Consultoría, 2011), as have the number of citizen-led cycling initiatives. However, there have been few publications that describe bicycle use in the city (and none in English that describe it thoroughly), and efforts to understand the city’s cycling culture have not been published or recognized. This document looks to fill that gap."

The use of bicycle rate has increased from 1% to 6%! It's very rapid change, isn't it? I've learned the population of the city is 8 million from Wikipidia. So now about 480,000 people are riding bikes there. Some of them are parents and children like in the photo above. I wish people in Bogota will ride mama bicycles too! That's all for today.

Blog link: http://mamabicycle.blogspot.jp/2015/03/bicycle-account-bogota-2014.html