Another way for Chinese students

•  
  • 38
  • 0
  • 1
Jun 13, 2019 00:42 students Gaokao
In China, there is a solution to your doubt that clever and creative students may not do well on the Gaokao. Every year, many competitions are held for middle school students and high school students.

Among them, the National Olympic competitions (including maths, biology, chemistry, informatics and physics five kinds, also known as Aosai) are officially approved, which means if you win a good place at the Olympic Competition, you will have the chance to enter the best universities such as THU and Peking University, without completing Gaokao. For example, one of my classmates won the first prize at the Chemistry Competition last year, so this year he is rather relaxed. We envy him so much!

However, the competitions need knowledge to be taught in university, which is really complicated for normal students. (There are also some competitions testing students' creative ability, but are considered less important than the Olympic Competitions.)Thus, Chinese high schools would hire teachers who can train students to get a good place at high salaries, in order to win a good reputation and to take in more students of high quality next year.

The advantages of winning the competitions also make a lot of parents, who want their children to have a bright future, force children to take boring training lessons since they're small. In fact, those who truly are interested in the advanced knowledge are the minority. So it's torture for most of the kids! Honestly, I was also asked to do so in my primary school, and I could barely understand what the teacher was saying.

As time goes by, more and more peole are calling for the abolition of the competitions because they have caused so many chaotic phenomena in Chinese education. But as you said, those key universities also want to take in the cleverest students. So, this way of admitting students to universities would still exist until a fairer way appears.
在中国,对于你关心的聪明和有创造力的学生可能无法考好高考的问题,有一种解决的办法。每年,会有很多为中学生和高中生所举办的竞赛。

其中,中国奥林匹克竞赛(包括数学,生物学,化学,信息学和物理学五种,也叫奥赛)是被官方所认可的,也就是说如果你在奥赛中赢得好名次的话,你将有不用高考就能进入中国最好的大学的机会,比如清华大学和北京大学。举个例子,去年我的一个同学赢得了化学竞赛的一等奖,所以今年他相当的放松。我们都很羡慕他!

然而,这些竞赛考察在大学才会教授的知识,对普通的学生来说十分复杂。(也有一些考验学生创造能力的竞赛,但他们没有被看作像奥林匹克竞赛那么重要。)因此,中国的高中会高薪聘请能够训练学生赢得好名次的教师,为了赢得好的名声以及在下一年招收更多优质的学生。

赢得竞赛的好处也让许多望子成龙的家长强迫孩子从小就开始上无聊的训练课程。实际上,那些真正对高深知识感兴趣的人只是少数。所以对多数孩子来说,这都是折磨!说实话,我在小学时也被要求上这种课,而且我很少听懂老师在讲什么。

随着时间的流逝,越来越多的人在呼吁取消竞赛,因为他们在中国教育中造成了许多乱象。但如你所说,那些重点大学也希望招收最聪明的学生。所以,这种录取学生进入大学的方式会继续存在,直到一种更公平的方式出现。