IELTS writing task 2 -- practice 1

•  
  • 38
  • 1
  • 1
Question:
Some people believe that nowadays we have too many choices.
To what extent do you agree or disagree?

These are people saying that the number of choices we have today excels the amount of what we need. Personally, I believe that in terms of the variety of products, it is true, while from the perspective of life styles, there are not enough of it.
With the booming of manufacturing industries, the products provided to customers is manifold, far excelling the need of consumers. For example, for different brand of shampoos, the difference between them could be merely a slightly change in its fragrance. Or even, the products could be exactly the same, only labelled differently, due to the prevalent business paradigm of white-branding. For my own experience, I’m often confused by such various choices and the efficacies the products claim to have.
While in terms of life styles, the optional possibilities are still too few. Today’s generation often feels trapped in this highly industrialized world, where a person becomes a small screw of the system. A common refrain of young people is that they have no spare time and extra money to enjoy their life, facing such a high living cost. Take people around me for example, unlike the westerners, my peers feel a strong responsibility to work immediately after graduation to support their family. They see a clearly path in front of them – work, family and death.
In conclusion, the choices offering to consumers exceed the need of consumers, while choices of life path lack its diversity.