Scientists have discovered why cats like loneliness.

•  
  • 121
  • 3
  • 1

The scientists Daniela Mills and Alice Potter from the University of Lincoln, Great Britain, have researched cats' behavior.

The scientists have analyzed the behavior of twenty grown-up domestic cats, and discovered that the cause of the cats' low affection toward their owners is because they don't associate their feeling of safety with people.
In the research, the scientists used an adapted version of the test A Strange Situation, which had been suggested by the psychologist Mary Ainsworth in the 1970s to study the affection of children being 12-18 months old toward their mothers. During the test, a child had been deprived of its mother for a while, and then returned back to her for the child's reaction to this stress to be studied.
Within A Strange Situation, researchers had had four types of affection, among which they had been trying to find the so-called reliable style of affection. Its trait is that a research subject feels itself endangered if it's far away from the object of its affection, and comforted on returning back to that.
In summary, the scientists watched three parameters, which described the cats' behavior during the deprivation of the owner (owners?). These were attempts to find the owner, the level of activeness and passivity, and evidences of the stress behavior because of the absence of the owner. Most of the tested cats, after their having been taken and returned, didn't demonstrate the reliable style of affection. On the contrary to this fact, dogs have the strong affection toward their owners.
Taking into account the results of the research, the scientists have deduced that most of cats tend to be lonely. However, the scientists don't negate that cats can have the affection toward people, but the nature of its would be different.