The four days study week increases pupils' marks.

•  
  • 107
  • 0
  • 1

The practice of the four days study week is gradually developing in the USA; it helps schools decrease their expenses.

The corresponding changes have already been implemented into schools in Colorado, New Mexico, and Wyoming; this issue is being discussed in many of the other states as well. It should be noted that teachers' weekly time sheet remains the same, being divided into a fewer number of days. Researchers from the University of Georgia have studied the effect of these innovations on the marks of American pupils studying at elementary school in reading and math.
"What is interesting is the results, which turned out to be absolutely opposite to all our expectations," Mary Walker says, the conductor of the research. "We thought that prolonged school days would cause marks to go down, especially for young children. It's hard for them to keep their attention for a long time, and easy to forget all the previous material during extended off days."
In fact, the situation has turned out to be absolutely different. Having compared the marks in the year before and after the implementing of four days study, the researchers discovered that 55.5 percent of the pupils had received high marks in math, and 63.1 percent of them did so next year. This effect seems to be developing, as a year later the number increased to 72 percent. In reading, the total number also improved from 61.5 to 71 percent.
The scientists haven't yet set about to explain the cause of that, and can only offer some speculations. "In my book, teachers are so satisfied with the four days study week that they merely teach much more enthusiastically," Mary Walker says.