The first read book in English

•  
  • 75
  • 3
  • 1
Recently, I finished reading a fantasy novel by Clive Staples Lewis called The Magician's Nephew. I'd read its Russian translation before, and decided to tackle the English original. It was the first real book in English I'd ever read. Before then, I'd finished several graded readers; they're books eased for language learners, either shortened and simplified classic novels or specially written books.
I found two versions of The Magician's Nephew on the Web. One seemed to be more up-to-the-minute, but it contained a lot of mistakes made I believe by a scanning program. The other version I discovered was on the Project Gutenberg site. It was older -- for example, "today" were written there as "to-day" -- but it had no typos, or at least much fewer of those. Out of interest, I compared both newer and older books with an online program, and there turned out no much difference between the words and phases used in them.
You might have heard about these books or films based on them, and The Magician's Nephew is the introduction into the series. The author didn't write these novels in keeping with their actual storyline order, so, though it's an introduction, the book isn't the first one produced within the series.
As far as I've heard, the most famous story connected with Narnia is about a wardrobe -- titled The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe -- and chronologically that book is the first. The Magician's Nephew is about how that wardrobe was created, how the land of Narnia appeared, and how enmity between the Witch and Narnians was established.