“A Thousand Splendid Suns”

•  
  • 44
  • 2
  • 2
I am about to finish my book and I have to say that “A Thousand Splendid Suns” is what I expected it to be: an account of the facts that have taken place in Afghanistan since the Soviet invasion.

Although the main characters featured in “A Thousand Splendid Suns” are fictional, hundred of thousands of Afghan people, both men and women, have actually gone through the atrocious situations described in the book. By telling the story of two Afghan women married to the same Afghan man, the author shows readers the terrible situations Afghan people had to endure first during the Soviet invasion and the war carried out by the Mujahedin to expel the occupant forces, then when the Taliban took power and finally when the peacemaking mission led by the US released the country from them. According to the book, every time there was a change, Afghan people’s life, especially women’, worsened even more. It is so hard to learn how many rules women had to follow when the Taliban governed the country. Before beginning “A Thousand Splendid Suns”, I already knew that it would not be an easy reading. However, you cannot be always reading romantic novels should you want to learn about what is really happening in the real world.

Reading “A Thousand Splendid Suns” has taught me how different your life can be depending on the place you are born. I can help but finish my entry with a reflection. I know that what I am going to write hereafter might not be politically correct or hurt some of the readers’ sensitivity. I have seen in my country, Spain, numerous mass demonstrations organised by lefty feminist groups claiming for women rights to be improved. Of course, as otherwise could not be the case, I take sides with them. However, where are all these courageous lefty feminist groups when it comes to demonstrating in front of - to name just some of them - the Afghan, Iranian and Nigerian Embassies? It might be a bit dangerous and not completely correct to say something about the ancient customs of countries like these.

By the way, if you have the chance to read “A Thousand Splendid Suns”, don’t miss it. I’m sure that you won’t regret it.