Another signal showing us that, unless action is taken immediately, the worst is yet to come

•  
  • 35
  • 3
  • 3
I am going to tell you the story of the politicians and, especially, the Prime Minister of a country who are more interested in their own business than in trying to mitigate and, if possible, solving them or preventing them from happening again.

At the end of August and beginning of September, the Spanish Mediterranean coast, especially the Valencian Community’s, suffers from the meteorological phenomenon called “the Cold Drop”. This meteorological phenomenon involves heavy rainfall and, as a result, severe flooding. Although I am not going to further explain which evil mixture of climatic events forms the cold drop, this meteorological phenomenon has become a devastating part of late summer in Spain. Accustomed as we are to the floods in this part of the country at the end of summer, this time has been by far the worst ever. Never before had so many places simultaneously suffered from such torrential rains. Never before had Spanish people seen the streets of some of their towns and cities turned into uncontrolled wild rivers that swept away with everything in their way. Never before could we imagine that what we had only seen happening in poor countries from other latitudes would occur in our own. During the past weekend, it rained so heavily in so many places at the same time that the fire fighters, soldiers and health personnel found it almost impossible to help those who were being affected by such adverse climate conditions. Now the places that have suffered the worst effects of the floods will be declared disaster areas. The people living in these areas will receive money from the state which should help them rebuild their homes and their business, though, in many cases it will be almost impossible since many of them are farmers who have lost their harvest and animals.

In the meanwhile, the leaders of the main parties went to the affected areas to see by themselves which the terrible effects of the torrential rains had been. All of them promised that they would do everything possible, something that is always insufficient. Although I have read that this devastating cold drop has not been caused directly by climate change but by hurricane Dorian, I cannot help but think that this is the beginning of the end. How much longer will it take our politicians to realise that if they do nothing with this issue everything will be over for everybody including themselves?