How much Do You Think Gender Equality Has Improved?

•  
  • 145
  • 4
  • 4
Things happen so quick that what hit the headlines just a week ago is now completely forgotten. However, I cannot erase from my mind a picture I saw last week. Among the 38 rulers taking part in the 2019 G20 Osaka submit there were only three women: The UK Prime Minister, the German Chancellor and the President of the International Monetary Fund. In all innocence, I thought things were better, but as it turned out, I could not be more mistaken.

Apparently three women taking part in a G20 submit carried out in 2019 is good news. No matter from where you look at it, regarding gender equality, we have hardly moved forward. And not only that but it seems that things are going to get worse because the UK Prime Minister, Theresa May, has already resigned and the two people who are competing to become her successor are men. Speaking about resignations, after four terms the German Chancellor has decided to let other person rule her country. Luckily for those who think gender equality has improved, the chances are that her successor will be another woman. Apart from this, there is little chance for a woman to rule one of the 28 countries taking part in the next G20 submit.

In my country, Spain, things do not go better. At national level, there are five main parties and believe it or not, none of them is led by a female. If we think about it, not having a female leader would be something relatively usual when speaking about right wing and far-right parties. However, this should not be the case when speaking about the so-called progressive parties. In order to show people how they can reverse the situation, the far-left party “Together We Can” has gone as far as to change its name (In Spanish when generalising “together” is masculine) for “Together We Can” though this time “together” is female. Now that this party has gone so far you may be wondering whether the leader is also a woman. Let us not be naive, its leader remains a man.

I do not want to finish my article so gloomy. Last week, two courageous women were in the spotlight. The first one is Greta Thunberg, the 16-year-old Swede who is demanding powerful companies and governments to change their environmental policies to reverse climate crisis. The second one is Carola Rackete, the German ship’s captain who, defying Italy’s ban on rescue ships, docked her ship carrying 42 migrants in the Italian port of Lampedusa. What two astounding role models!