What Leads You to Read a Book?

•  
  • 75
  • 2
  • 2
At times, learning a target language can be boring. Sometimes, finding new sources that keep you motivated can be a very difficult or even impossible task. Luckily, I have found a solution. I am trying to learn about issues which until now – I feel embarrassed confessing it – I have paid little or even no attention to. So every time I hear or read about a book or podcast related to the issues on which I want to improve my knowledge, I look for them and listen to them or read them.

Listening to podcasts has become a daily routine. Most days, I spend over an hour listening to The Guardian podcast called “Today in Focus” and the BBC podcast called “Outlook”. I have to admit that during the time I have been listening to these two podcasts I have become an expert in the UK internal issues. However, believe it or not, it is not politics and politicians that I am interested in the most but about the injustices that have been happening and sadly still happen in many countries. The problem is that as a consequence of human beings having done it so terribly bad throughout history, there are now too many issues about which to learn. So learning about all then is completely impossible.

In the pursuit of my goal, I pick up books from which I can learn about the issues I am interested in. However, although I would not mind reading real stories written by those who endured them, at the moment, I prefer the book I read to be novels about those issues. I have read novels about Syrians fleeing their country, about Palestinians being expelled from the land that once was theirs and about the many problems black people have had and continue having everywhere. The list goes on and on. Wanting to learn about what refugees and migrants goes through I came across a TED Talk given by a Turkish female writer called Elif Shafak. Her way of speaking was captivating and her own story thrilling. Although born in Strasbourg, Elif Shafak´s parents were Turkish. As a result of Elif Shafak´s mother being a diplomat, both of them – mother and daughter – travelled and lived in many countries. What could be regarded as the best way to learn about the many countries in which she lived turned into something completely different. Whereas in Turkey, Elif Shafak was the Westerner due to her modern ideas, in the Western countries where she lived and studied, Elif Shafak was the Turk. However, Elif Shafak was determined to get the best of both worlds.

I am currently reading one of Elif Shafak´s novels called “The Architect’s Apprentice.” Even though I am not even halfway through the book, I already wanted to write about my first impressions. Although, the book is more difficult to read than I expected, “The Architect’s Apprentice” has not let me down in the slightest.