Are We Running out of Time?

•  
  • 109
  • 3
  • 2
It has been a while since we last had such a cloudy and cold day. To make things worse, the weather forecast predicts more rainfalls and plummeting temperatures for the rest of the week. After the hottest winner registered, it was expected that the spring would also break records in high temperatures and low rainfall. However, it seems that the weather does not want the predictions to be fulfilled.

Talking about the weather might be the first resort when trying to write a text in English without being very sure about the topic, though, this is not my case today. As a matter of fact, this Saturday, there was once again a demonstration in my city, Madrid. This time the demonstration was not held by Catalans supporting the defendants in the so-called “procés” trail or by Spaniards supporting the unity of their state but by the people who, to some extent, most suffer the inclement weathers: those who live in the most uninhibited villages, towns and regions in the country. The demonstrators showed their disenchantment with the policies carried out by the successive governments that have been ruling the country and which seem to have forgotten about them completely. It was curious to see how leaders of every party, including several current ministers, joined the demonstration. How can politicians be so hypocrite? The politicians who have already ruled the country and done nothing to prevent this issue from happening, now that the general elections are just around the corner, say that they will go to great lengths to solve the problem. And the politicians who have never ruled the country have supported the ones who have done it. So, in the end, all of them have done anything but to let the issue worsen.

Now politicians in pre-electoral campaign are promising that these abandoned towns will receive almost everything they need, including free Wi-Fi. In doing so, they expect that living in these villages become more appealing. Consequently, not only will the few inhabitants who still live in them remain but other people will also come to live in them. From my experience, I do not think that preventing these now almost completely abandoned villages from becoming fully deserted is an easy task. This was a problem that began many years ago, when people started migrating from rural areas to cities villages where they thought it would be easier to make a living. After that, the children of those who still remained living in rural areas have also gradually leaved because becoming a farmer was far harder and less profitable than studying at the university or working as a waiter or mechanic’s.

What will happen when no one wants to remain living in rural areas? What will happen when no one wants to work in the field or take care of animals? All of this reminds me of a film I watch when being a child. In this film, politicians in electoral campaign went to ask the only remaining inhabitant of a small village to vote for them. When this old survivor asked each of them what they could offer him in return for his vote, none of them could persuaded him because as he said: “regardless of how bad things go in the world, I will always have something to eat whereas those who are living in cities will not.”