(1) Climates

•  
  • 421
  • 21
  • 6
A heavy snowfall hit our city lately. Exactly speaking, it wasn't snow and I wouldn’t call it hail, because there were neither snowflakes nor hailstones. They were simply iced raindrops. The lowest temperature in winter here is around zero degrees Celsius. So, when it “snowed,” it basically rained “ice sand.” Usually, it “ice rains” during the -1~-2 ℃ night, and the ice on the ground starts slowly melting around the noon (the temperature is slightly above 0℃), but in the afternoon, the melt begins to freeze again (the temperature is below 0℃). As you can see, the roads are easily covered with a thin layer of ice!

It’s also hard to eliminate the road ice, because you cannot sweep it like snow. Even if you have cleaned it off, a new layer will quickly form because of another rainfall and the 0℃ temperature making it frozen again. Most flights, both inbound and outbound, are cancelled because the tarmacs are covered with ice. Most food deliveries cease for safety concerns. Walking outside, you’ll see some people slipping and falling to the ground.

I’m bored with the climate here. In the area along the Yangtze River, where the cold Siberian wind and the warm wind from the tropical Pacific meet, it rains on most days of the year, and thus the humidity is pretty high. During winter, it’s damp and cold, so it’s indeed “freezing” cold. During summer, it’s humid and hot, so it’s truly “steaming” hot. Which is really excruciating. In summer, you live in a huge sauna room. You feel hot. You sweat profusely but your perspiration never dries. In some other areas, a gust may make you feel cool in summer. However, here, it only makes you feel worse, because a moist, hot wind won’t help dry your sweat (take the heat off your skin); it’s like another hot shower poured over an already-in-a-hot-tub you. :’( In winter, the weather is cold and your clothes is wet. It’s as if ice grows on you. In southern China, there is no central heating system. Therefore, when I was in university, it was fun to see my classmates who were the most scared of the cold were those from northern China. In their words, “It’s much drier in their hometowns. They have heating inside rooms.”

Ugh! Right now when I'm writing, I hear a loud thunder. It'll rain ice again!
我所在的城市最近下了一场大雪。准确地来说,不是雪,我也不会称之为冰雹。因为下的东西不是雪花,也不是冰雹,而是冰雨。这里冬天最冷的气温是0度左右。所以如果要下雪,基本上就是下冰了。通常,晚上负1-2度的时候,就开始下冰,中午左右的时候,路上的冰砂开始稍微融化一点,然后下午又开始结冰。所以,路上很容易结一层冰。

除冰也很难,因为不能像雪一样地扫掉它,即便你清除掉了,马上又来一场雨,又开始冻住。出港和进港的大多数航班全部取消,因为飞机跑道上结的是冰。外卖也停止服务,怕出安全事故。出门走路的时候,你也会看到不少人滑到。

这里的气候恶劣,让人郁闷。在长江中下游区域,因为来自西伯利亚的寒流和暖太平洋的温暖湿气经常相遇,导致雨天占全年多数,空气湿度很高。冬天的时候,潮湿阴冷,那真是刺骨的寒冷。在夏天的时候,潮湿闷热,那真是像蒸笼一样。夏天的时候,你就像住在大型的桑拿室一样。热得要命,大汗淋漓,却总是干不了。在其他地方,夏天吹来一股风会让你感到凉爽,可是在这里,只会让你更难受,因为吹来的风是湿热的,根本不会吹干你的汗水(蒸发不了,带不走体表热量)。就好比,你已经在泡热水澡了,然后又倒了一股热水到你的头上。冬天的时候,你的衣服总是湿湿的,感觉身上在结冰。中国南方,没有集中供暖,所以,在读大学的时候,很有意思的是,班上最怕冷的就是来自北方的同学了。用他们的话来说,他们家乡更干燥,然后屋子里有暖气,所以不觉得冷。