#1 Mysterious Amulet - A Small Buddha

•  
  • 474
  • 11
  • 3
Tonight, a former classmate, treated me to dinner at a downtown restaurant. When we got there, the place was already packed. Lines of people were waiting outside. We took a number printed out of a machine. Our number revealed that there were a dozen or so customers waiting for “small tables.” We estimated that it would take us at least half an hour to be seated, so my friend suggested going out to kill time, since a message would be sent to her phone when it was our turn.

We had hardly gotten out of the restaurant when she grabbed me and said, “I’m taking you to a beauty shop!”

Puzzled, I said, “I’m not going. I’m not interested in hairdressing and beauty stuff, at all. Those are you ladies’ things!”

She laughed and said, “Come on! A friend got me a mysterious gift from Thailand. She’s waiting for me at the shop.”

When we got there, my friend took out her phone to call her mysterious friend. After her a few words into the phone, a lady sitting in a corner with a mask on her face started waving at us. When we got closer to her, that lady said loudly, “Wow, you are more beautiful than your profile pic!”

I thought, “Are you ladies meeting for the first time?”

Then, the lady drew a red package out of her handbag. She carefully lifted a red handkerchief that had been covering a little transparent box, in which sat a small Buddha. Ah, it was an amulet!

“Is this the first time you've met her?” I asked my friend.

“Yeah, it’s the first time in person. Previously, we only on Wechat,” She said. “You know what, this amulet’s very very special. She FaceTimed with me the whole process of getting it out of a temple.”

I scratched my head and held my breath for her story.

[Revised]
今天晚上,我一个同学请我去一个市里的餐馆吃饭。当我们到了那里的时候,餐馆里已经是人满为患。外面排了长长的队伍。于是我们去了门口的一台机器那里取了号。显示前面已经有十来个顾客在等待小桌。我们估计至少要等半个小时才能轮到我们,所以我同学就建议我们先出去逛逛,因为轮到我们,会有短信通知。

一出门,她就一把抓住我,说:“我带你去一个美容店吧!”

我迷惑不解,说:“我不去。我对美容美发一点也不感兴趣,那是你们妹子做的事!”

她笑道:“不是呢。我一个朋友从泰国带回来了一个神秘的礼物,她在店里等我呢。”

到了美容店,我朋友拿出手机,打电话给这个神秘的朋友。她讲了几句话后,一个坐在角落,带着面膜的女生对我们招手。当走近她时,那个妹子惊呼:“哇塞,你本人比照片上好看!”

我心想,“你们还是第一次见面?”

那个女生从她的包里面拿出来一个红色布包。然后,她小心翼翼地把盖在上面的红手巾掀开,漏出来一个透明的小盒子,里面有一个小佛像。啊!原来是一个护身符。

“你们是第一次见面吗?”我问我的朋友。

“是啊,本人是第一次见。之前只在微信上见过。”她说道:“你知道吗?这个护身符非常非常特殊!她求这个佛的时候,是全程和我视频的。”

我挠了挠头,屏住呼吸,等着听她的故事。