A Question about Pronunciation

• 247
  • 35
  • 3
My English teacher, M, teaches us not only expressions but also American pronunciation. His class is informative and helpful, but I’m still unclear about one thing: the “t” sound.

In Chinese schools, English pronunciation is not taught after high school, but when I was in high school, the teachers taught us British Received Pronunciation. When I was in university, I taught myself American pronunciation by listening to the radio and watching American movies.

As far as I can tell, in American or Canadian pronunciation, the “t” sound is different in different words. For example, the “t” sound in words such as “time” and “teach” is different from that in “waiting” and “graduating.” The latter sounds like an intermediate sound between “d” and “t.” However, when I read aloud words such as “waiting” and “graduating,” pronouncing the “t” sound like the intermediate sound, my teacher M always frowns upon it and tells me to pronounce it like the “t” in “time” and “teach.”

Over the past few days, while listening to the radio, I've paid particular attention to words ending with “ting” and realized that Americans actually don’t pronounce the “t” sound like that in “time.” So, for me, this is very confusing. Is my observation wrong? Or is it not Standard American Pronunciation?

The recording link: https://vocaroo.com/i/s05yyyh8tzw4