English Grammar Books

•  
  • 209
  • 7
  • 4
Today I went to the city library to return books. After giving back three Chinese books, I headed to the English section to return two English books. While lining up, I saw a young guy in front of me returning his preliminary English course books, which were bestsellers in China. His books included a grammar book and a textbook called “New Concept English.”

This scene suddenly evoked my memories from many years ago. Back in my high school years, I also studied books like those. In China, students study English grammar in high school, but not in university anymore, so it’s been quite a long time since I last exclusively studied the grammatical rules of English. During the last year, I’ve practiced English a lot and written English entries on Lang-8 whenever I had time. Thanks to this community, I’ve made big progress in English grammar. Knowing the rules is one thing, but using them is quite another.

In the library, on a whim I borrowed a grammar book, one of the most popular grammar guidebooks here in China. I still felt the need to brush up on the English tense and countable/uncountable nouns. Well, after flipping through a few pages of this book, I found that it used very abstruse/verbose language to explain some simple rules. I’d say this book may confuse its audience - - beginners, and is likely to undermine their confidence. However, I’m not a beginner and hope to learn something from it.
今天我去市图书馆还书。还了三本中文书后,我就去了英语区还两本英语书。排队的时候,发现前面一名男生在还在中国很畅销的初级英语书。其中一本书是语法书,一本是《新概念英语3》。

这一幕让我想起了多年前的时光。在读高中的时候,我也学习过类似的书。在中国,高中生需要学习语法,但大学时就不需要了,所以我很多年没有系统学习语法了。这一年来,我一直在认真学习英语,有时间就在Lang-8写写日记。也多亏了大家,我英语语法上进步很大。知道语法是一回事,如何使用却是另一回事。

在图书馆的时候,我临时决定借一本英语语法书,这本书在中国很有名。我还是感觉有必要重新复习一下英语的时态和名词可数与不可数。但是,翻了几页之后,发现原本几句简单的话可以搞定的东西,这本书却用晦涩冗长的语言来解释。这本书的主要读者是初级学者,这样一来,肯定会让他们感到很困惑,挫伤他们的自信。不过,我不是一个初学者了,还是希望能从这本书里学到一些东西。