Embers of War - Pulitzer Prize

•  
  • 531
  • 9
  • 6
It seems like most people in my city have gone back to their hometowns. When I went out, I saw very few cars running on the roads. Most shops and restaurants have been closed – quite a scene of depression. It seems like Trump has won. He said that China had stolen Americans’ jobs. Only a couple of days after his inauguration, China’s economy has slumped. Lol.

I work in a state-run company. In China, the staff working in government, state-owned institutions, and state-owned companies have to work till the last day of the Chinese year, so I have to stay. I feel quite lonely as if I were abandoned by the whole world. But, I know how to look for fun. I read.

Last week, I went to the city library and borrowed several books, including 3 English books. I’ve finished one. The book I’m now reading is called “Embers of War.” I’ve now finished the first half, and I’m planning to finish the second half when I’m back in my hometown.

The book, which narrates the events before the 1954 Vietnam War, has over 800 pages. The book’s prose is FANTASTIC! It’s vivid as well as compact! It’s really my cup of tea! I learned that this book is a Pulitzer Prize winner. I've decided to read more books like this.

I made the decision to restart studying English half a year ago after I’d discovered that my English skills had become very rusty from two years of not studying the language. I’ve stuck to the plan of reading one chapter of a book after hours no matter what. Now, I’m able to finish several chapters in a single setting effortlessly within one hour or two. I found myself reading English almost like a native. I’m so excited because once my speed of reading English becomes as fast as Chinese, I’ll go to enter the next stage: Reading English will become enjoyment rather than torture, which means I’ll be able to have myself exposed to more English. How refreshing will that be!
好像我们这里的市民都回到家乡过年去了。我出门的时候,路上看不到几辆车。大部分商店和餐馆都关门了,一派经济萧条的景象。看起来特朗普赢了,他说中国偷走了美国人的工作,他就职没几天,中国经济就衰败了。哈哈。

我在一家*企工作。在中国,政府部门和国有企事业单位,都要到最后一天才放假,所以我还要坚守岗位。我感觉被整个世界抛弃了,但我知道怎么找乐子,因为我可以通过阅读消磨时间。

上周,我去市图书馆借了几本书,包括3本英语书。我已经读完了一本。现在我读的书是《战争的灰烬》,目前已经读完了一半,打算剩下的一半回到家乡再读。

《战争的灰烬》有800多页,讲述的是1954年越战前发生的事情。这本书的文笔超好!描述生动,结构紧凑!是我的菜!我得知这本书获得了普利策奖,我决定以后多读这样的书。

半年前,我决定重新开始学习英语,因为我发现断了两年,我的英语变得很渣。这半年来,我坚持着自己的计划,不管怎样,一天下班后,我要读一章书本内容。现在,我已经能够一口气轻松地在一两个小时内,读完好几章内容了。我发现我读英语真心有一种母语的感觉了。我很兴奋,因为如果我的英语阅读速度和中文一样快的话,我就会进入到下一个学习阶段:英语阅读从此不再是一种折磨,而是一种享受。这样就意味着,我能够更容易沉浸在英语海洋里面了。哇塞,那应该很爽!