Gandalf/Magneto Is Having a Fantastic Time in Beijing

•  
  • 1475
  • 7
  • 2
In China, the British celebrity Ian McKellen’s known as Gandalf/Magneto. Few people know his real name. So, after he tweeted about his great time in Beijing, China’s media carried headlines like “Magneto Travelling in Forbidden City!”

There was ongoing coverage of this famous old man’s short visit in Beijing. He took the subway to experience the mundane. He traveled to iconic places such as the Forbidden City, Temple of Heaven, and Summer Palace. In pictures, wearing a rainbow colored hat, he posed mischievously and gracefully. I felt there must be something special about him, and it turned out that he was spotted in a gay bar.

I googled him and the results showed that he was gay. He came out to the public early in nineteen eighties and has been an active proponent of LGBT rights. In China, LGBT isn’t an intimidating thing to people, at least online. There is, however, a pile of media sensationalism. A gay couple sued the government for not acknowledging their marital status. Last year, the British consul general of Shanghai married his same-sex partner (a Chinese man, unsure about his nationality though), so did the US consul general of Shanghai this year….

The CCP doesn’t bother to suppress LGBT-related news, because it seems not to be a top priority on the list of civil right issues that the government's dealing with. In terms of people’s opinions towards it, some accept it, and others say it makes them feel uncomfortable. It’s roughly half and half.

Back to the topic, I respect Ian McKellen very much for his effort to make minorities’ voices heard and their proper rights guaranteed.

FYI: Why Chinese people only know the nicknames of celebrities from English-speaking countries and not their real names.
http://lang-8.com/94674/journals/172598837587778394505048424964680699600

甘道夫/万磁王在北京的快乐时光

在中国,人们只知道“甘道夫/万磁王”,并不知道Ian McKellen的真名。他在推特上晒(晒 = post sth especially on social sites,slang)旅游照片的时候,中国媒体取的标题是《万磁王游览故宫》。

万磁王在中国玩了几天,媒体也追踪报道了几天。比如,他在北京坐地铁体验市井生活,游览故宫,天坛和颐和园。在照片里面,他戴着彩虹帽子,姿势淘气优雅,我隐约感觉到他肯定是一个有故事的人。果然,有人发现他在北京某gay吧出现。

然后我在Google上搜了一下他的信息,原来他早在80年代就出柜了,而且一直是LGBT团体的坚定的支持者。其实,在中国,至少在网上,LGBT并不是一件什么可怕的事情。但还是有很多炒作新闻,比如一对gay起诉政府不承认他们的婚姻。去年,英国驻上海总领事和一个中国男人结婚(国籍不确定),今年美国驻上海总领事和一个中国男人结婚(国籍不确定)。

CCP懒得管这些事,因为要管的事情多了去了。中国人的态度的话,有些人接受,有些人觉得不可接受,一半对一半吧。

言归正传,我很尊敬Ian先生,因为他的努力让少数人的意见有机会被听取,并让他们的权利得到尊重和保护。