Audiobooks

•  
  • 310
  • 6
  • 4
I’ve formed the habit of reading English books for quite a while. However, I sometimes feel a bit bored because the major part of my focus is on the texts rather than the content. The other day, I learned that one of my Lang-8 friends had a language partner who read and recorded English books for her. That was interesting! Though I live in China and my work doesn’t involve using English, I can have someone read books for me as well -- through audiobooks.

I remembered that there were some “audiobook shops” on Taobao (a Chinese online marketplace) and that the prices were extremely low. Today, I went on Taobao to see if the shops were still there, but it turned out that the shops had all been suspended. I guess that Taobao did this due to copyright concerns because Alibaba Group, the parent company of Taobao, had gone public in the US, so they had to deal with the pirating issues, which had been criticized by the SEC many times.

However, it's very difficult to uproot pirating in China. I now see other Chinese online marketplaces selling English audiobooks at very, very low prices. Some netizens even CloudShare them. Just Baidu the key words of book names, and we can download the audiobooks for free.
我看英语书的习惯坚持有一段时间了。但有时候觉得有点无聊,因为我的主要注意力在文本上,而不是内容。几天前,我在Lang-8上看到一个网友说,她有一个语伴念书给她听。很有趣。虽然我在中国,工作和英语也没有关系,但是我也可以让别人念英语书给我听,下载有声书就可以了。

我记得淘宝上有一些卖有声书的店,价格非常便宜。今天我又去淘宝逛了逛,想看看那些店还在不在,结果发现全部被屏蔽了。我猜测,可能是由于阿里巴巴在美国上市,经常被美国证监会批评盗版问题,所以就集中处理了这些店。

不过,要想在中国根除盗版问题很难。我现在看到其它网站还在卖有声书,几块钱一本。百度云上更是各种免费版本,只要搜索几个关键词,就可以找到资源并下载。。。