Expat Life

•  
  • 446
  • 6
  • 3
In the latter half of this year, I will possibly be assigned to work overseas. But I'm less interested in this opportunity than when I came to my company several years ago. At that time, I yearned to work in a foreign country, because as someone freshly out of college, I wanted to try something new and experience a culture different from mine. I loved language learning and was convinced that I could assimilate quickly, making a life and blending in.

My company is state-owned, and has branches all over the world. Last year, the company was going to select dozens of employees to work abroad, and I signed up for the program. Through the English language test, paper writing, and interview, I made it to the final round. After a one-month training program about foreign affairs, the only thing left was to wait to be assigned. We couldn’t choose which country to work in but I didn’t care. I just felt like my brain required ongoing nourishment and hard challenges. It needed a mental shock like a move in order to keep a steady supply of the fuel which created curiosity and passion.

However, I don’t know when I suddenly changed. I am none too eager to move anymore, for no reason. I feel sort of upset over the prospect of the expat life, for I will have to juggle busy projects and get adjusted to a strange, new environment. A couple of years ago, when I heard this from a colleague of my current age, I felt it inconceivable to feel that way. I understand it now but still didn’t know why it happened, or perhaps the underlying reason is very complicated.

今年下半年,我可能会出国工作。但和我当初进公司的时候相比,我现在的兴趣不大了。那时候,我刚刚大学毕业,想尝试新的东西,想体验不同的文化。我也喜欢学习语言,也坚信自己能够很快融入国外的环境。

我的公司是一家央企,在世界各地有机构。去年,我们公司要选十几个员工外派。我报名参加了该项目,通过英语测试,论文写作答辩,面试,我走到了最后一轮。培训了一个月后,就是等消息了,去哪个国家我们不能决定,但我无所谓。我只觉得我喜欢挑战,比如通过换一个工作环境,可以让自己保持激情。

但是,我不知道什么时候我突然发生了改变。我对这个机会一点也不感兴趣了。一想到在国外,既要负责忙碌的项目,还要适应一个新环境,就惴惴不安。几年前,我听一个和我现在年纪一样的同事说出了这样的感想,我当时觉得不可思议。现在,我能够理解了,虽然不知道为什么会有这样的变化,或者背后的原因很复杂,一下子说不清楚。