An Inspirational Story

•  
  • 536
  • 6
  • 4
A few years ago when I was a college student, the media reported that a young student who suffered from cerebral palsy had been admitted to my university. He bacame palsied when he choked on milk as an infant. After that, he could neither speak clearly nor walk.

Thankfully, despite being paralyzed, he is highly intelligent. Convinced that he could achieve just as much as any able-bodied person could, he work very hard in school. He perfromed very well academically, scored well on the College Entrance Examination, and majored in computer science in college.

I was pretty touched when I read the news story. I saw him a few times on campus. Once, after school, he was being wheeled from a classroom to the dorm area. It was dusk, and the smile on his face was clear in the fading sunlight. It was one of the most beautiful scenes I'd ever seen at the university.

After graduation, I would occasionally think of him, asking myself, “How’s he doing?” Recently, I read about him in the news again. He's doing excellently in the university as well – his GPA ranks in the top 3% of the students in his department and he has published several quality papers. He also took the TOFEL test and scored 86 out of 90 (he was exempted from the speaking section because of his inability to articulate clearly.) He took the GRE a few days ago and his story has interested several renowned American universities such as Stanford, Purdue, and Carnegie Mellon. I'm happy for him. No matter what the result of his applications will be, I think with his perseverance, his life will be meaningful.

(Revised)
几年前我在上大学的时候,媒体报道有一个脑瘫学生被我所在的大学录取。当他还很小的时候,有一次家长喂奶不小心,导致他患上脑瘫,从此口齿不清并无法行走。

幸运的是,尽管他身体残疾,但很聪明。他坚信能和身体健全的人一样能做很多事情,所以他很刻苦。他的成绩一直很拔尖,高考成绩也很不错,选择了计算机专业。

当时读到这条新闻时,我很触动。我在大学校园里面也见过他几次,有一次,放学后,他坐在轮椅上,被同学从教学楼推向宿舍。正当黄昏时,他脸上的笑容在夕阳中呈现,可谓校园里最美丽的风景线之一。

毕业后,我偶尔也会想到他,不知道他的近况如何。最近,我又读到了关于他的新闻。他在大学里面成绩依然很好,他的成绩可以排在系里的前3%,发表了几篇质量上乘的论文。他还参加了托福考试,满分90分,得了86分(因为他说话口齿不清,所以口语免试)。他几天前还参加GRE考试,而且他的故事引起了一些美国知名大学的注意,如斯坦福,普渡,卡耐基美隆。我为他感到高兴,不管结果如何,他的努力执着,一定会换来一个有意义的人生。