Egalitarian Canada

•  
  • 284
  • 9
  • 3
The first episode of the Canada-related series aired last Friday. On the show, Mr. Gao began his monologue with the introduction of Vancouver, the most well-known Canadian city to Chinese people, because more than one third of the city’s population are Chinese!

Before 1997, when the sovereignty of Hong Kong was to be transferred from the UK to the PRC, multitudes of Hong Kong people fled to Vancouver because they feared Communism. The people included cordon bleu chefs, so it’s said that Vancouver has the best dim sum in the world. With the PRC having grown to be the world’s second largest economy over the last three decades, freshly minted millionaires have been spit out a dime a dozen. The Chinese billionaires, for various reasons, have been going out of their way to emigrate. And, Vancouver, the world’s most livable city, seems to be the best choice for them. I’m aware that several of the richest people from my city have purchased properties in Vancouver. These billionaires, and other Chinese people like them, are driving up housing prices there.

Mr. Gao praised Canada as a welfare state where people’s human rights are respected and well protected. He said that when he went with Gregor Robertson, the mayor of Vancouver, to a downtown restaurant to have dinner, they were asked to wait in line. When it was their turn, the table happened to be on a balcony. The table was so low that they had to stoop over to eat the food! People in the restaurants knew he was the mayor, but no one would give up his or her table to him.

I was stunned and JEALOUS! In China, if a mayor goes to a restaurant, the place will either be cordoned off for security, or full of people who stand and applaud enthusiastically! I wouldn’t say it’s like North Korea, because people here only take it as a useful means to curry favor with official who have political powers. The Chinese society still has a long way to go to be egalitarian.
平等的加拿大

《晓松奇谈》关于加拿大的第一期节目于上周五播出。节目一开始,高晓松就谈到了温哥华。温哥华是在中国最出名的加拿大城市,因为温哥华超过1/3的市民是华人!

在1997年前,当香港快要回归中国的时候,很多香港人因为害怕GCZY而逃到了温哥华。其中包括有名的大厨,所以温哥华现在有着世界上最好吃的广式茶点。而且,过去30年来,中国经济高速发展,成为了世界上第二大经济体,出现了大量的有钱人。由于各种各样的原因,其中的千万富翁、亿万富豪们纷纷想着法子移民。我就认识几个我们城市的富翁在温哥置了业。正是因为这些国人,温哥华的房价不停地飙升。

高晓松还称赞加拿大是一个福利好的国家,国民各项人权都得到了尊重和保护。他说他和温哥华市长罗品信去市中心一家餐厅吃饭,没有特权,只得排队。当排到他们的时候,只剩下一个阳台桌位了,桌子很矮,他们不得不弯着腰吃饭。尽管餐馆里面的人都认识市长,但没有一个人愿意让座给他!

看到这里,我又惊讶又羡慕!如果在中国,一个中国市长去餐馆,要么这个餐馆为了安保被围了起来,要么餐馆里面的人会起立热烈鼓掌。这当然和朝鲜是不一样的,人们只是潜意识认为,和有权势的GY们打好交道是有好处的。中国SH要达到真正的平等,还任重道远!