#1 Is China Changing Hollywood?

•  
  • 435
  • 8
  • 4
Why would China changing Hollywood? The answer is simple: money.

The Chinese movie market has been growing fast over the last few years, and will surpass the US to be the world’s largest in a year or two. Hollywood blockbusters are very well-liked in China. Nearly every Hollywood movie released in China reaps a huge box office; some movies have grossed more money than they have in the US, such as Transformers 4, Zootopia, and Fast and Furious 7.

Motivated by earnings, Hollywood big fishes won’t miss out on any single opportunity to grab a slice of the action and jump on the bandwagon. They try to avoid anything that may seem sensitive to the Chinese government. For instance, the 2016 movie “Dr. Strange” had originally been scripted in relation to Tibet, but in the end, the scenario was changed. In disaster movies, many iconic structures around the world may be destroyed, but not those in China.

In Hollywood blockbusters, the image of China now tends to be positive. Sometimes, as an ally of the US, China works together to fight back alien attacks. The movie companies also inject Chinese movie stars into the films as a box office draw for the Chinese market. For example, in the latest “Star Wars” movie “Rogue One,” two Chinese movie stars make cameo appearances. Actually, Chinese people don’t care about Hollywood pandering to China; they will go watch the movies, as long as they have good word of mouth. Some people say that it’s because the film companies want to show their friendliness to the Chinese government in order to pass its strict censorship. Therefore, it’s very strange to me that in the US news media, China is the runner-up enemy of the US, but in movies, all of sudden, the nation turns out to be a buddy. (Interestingly, both in the US news media and Hollywood movies, Russia is unfailingly a nemesis to the US. Haha.)

[Revised]
为什么中国在影响着好莱坞呢?答案非常简单:因为钱,

过去的几年里,中国电影市场增长非常快,规模与日倍增。在今后的一两年里,有望超越美国,成为世界上最大的电影市场。好莱坞电影在中国非常受欢迎。几乎每一部在中国上映的好莱坞电影都有着好的票房成绩。一些好莱坞电影甚至比在美国本土的票房还要高,比如《变形金刚4》,《疯狂动物城》和《速度与激情7》。

有着赚钱的驱动力,好莱坞的大佬们当然不会任何机会分得一杯羹,纷纷加入捞钱行列。所以他们会避免任何MG内容,比如2016年电影《奇异博士》原本设定在Tibet,但后来改到了其它地方。在灾难电影里面,世界上很多标志性的建筑都可能会被摧毁,但中国的镜头没有。

另一方面,现在在好莱坞大片中,中国的形象往往偏正面。很多时候,中国都是美国的盟友,一起反抗外星人的侵略。电影公司门还会请中国的电影明星参演,吸引中国票房。比如,最近的星战电影《侠盗一号》,有两位中国影星在里面扮演了重要的角色。实际上,中国无所谓美国人讨不讨好中国市场,只要电影本身好,口碑好,他们就会去看。有一些人说,他们这样做,主要是因为要向中国监管部门示好,以便过审。于是,我就看到一个奇怪的现象。在美国的新闻媒体中,中国是美国的***第二号***敌人,但是在电影中,却成了好朋友。不过,无论在新闻和还是电影中,俄罗斯都是美国的宿敌。