(2) Miscellaneous Aspects of Chinese Culture

•  
  • 81
  • 1
  • 1
As for question 3:

American would-be college students don’t need to pay for their four-year education in one lump sum. However, it isn’t the same for Chinese international students. Requesting student loans is a common practice in the US, but Chinese students are usually ineligible for it. While preparing for student visas, they are generally required to hand in a bank savings account or certificate of deposit to prove that they are financially able to finish their studies in the US. The number is usually no less than around $50K. The sum is peanuts for the Chinese rich, but still costs average families an arm and a leg. In order to round up that money on their accounts, some borrow from their extended families and friends; some resort to short-term high-interest loans.

For example, my college classmate, Linsey, recently received an offer from graduate school at University of Pennsylvania, but she’s now planning to put off getting in because she’s short of the required deposit, despite being granted a $10K fellowship.

As a side note, things are easier for STEM PhDs because their graduate fellowships and funding can usually cover their tuition and living expenses in the US. When they are applying for visas, a certificate of deposit isn’t that important, as the shrewd visa officers know they won’t have financial problems, and America needs them. (The ongoing trade war and anti-spy campaign may make things a bit different now.)

As for question 4:

Even though Peking University is prestigious in its own right, an Ivy-league degree is still much-needed for its students, if they:

1) want to land a job in American high-tech or financial sectors, where they can sharpen their skills and where American college degrees usually outweigh foreign ones (assuming at an approximate level put on the world stage).

2) want to enter into higher education profession (even if they want to come back to teach in China someday). Strangely enough, for various reasons, a PhD from OVERSEAS top universities has become a must if you want to become a teacher in Chinese prestigious universities.
Q3: College students and their families are not expected to reach into their pockets, pull out four years' worth of tuition, and drop it on the table as a lump sum before they can even think of attending a university. (What would you think of it?)

Q4: And if Peking University was so prestigious in its own right, why the desperate need to go to MIT?